Logo

1972 Mercury 80 hp

willstox

Contributing Member
"I have the oppertunity to buy

"I have the oppertunity to buy a 72' 80 hp merc, long shaft? at a fair price, 600 dollors, the motor had a tune up last spring, new water pump seated in 04...........please tell me if this is a good price and what I should look for ......what concerns if any. I have only owned a Evinrude so I know nothing about Mercurys...........Thank you..................P.S. I know this is a loaded question, but anything you guy's think I should know, please tell me."

"William, that particular mode

"William, that particular model, the Merc 800 (80 horse) was built between 69-72. In it's day it was a fairly "big" outboard.

The waterpump you mention should have been changed twice more since it was last done in 04 (every two years for an impeller change is reasonable - every year according to the book).

I would be a little leary of the ignition system. While it worked well, the parts are long discontinued from Merc and the odd time you do find them, they are quite expensive. You don't want to have to chuck 500 bucks for a new distributor (if you can find it) for a motor you paid 600 for.

The price sounds towards the top end of "high" for a (almost) 35 year old motor. In the private used market you could get a considerably "newer" model for the same money. I would expect a mid to late 80's model in the same horsepower range to sell in the 500-1000 dollar range.

Personally, unless the price was about half what you mention, I would be looking for something a little newer with a more modern ignition system.

My 2 cents"

"Thankyou very much, I was nee

"Thankyou very much, I was needing to hear something about this motor, I believe I am going to pass on it/...................Thank you."

Back