Logo

A few questions about 1959 25hp Sea King

zuidema

" I picked up a 1959 25hp Sea

" I picked up a 1959 25hp Sea King deluxe with electric start today for $25. The motor is complete and looks to be in decent shape, but has been sitting for at least 3 years. The motor is not seized up and the electric start works. I haven't had it running, I just turned it over a time or two to see if the starter worked.

My first question is that the motor is stuck in drive and will not shift gears. I have not worked on an outboard yet that has gears, so I'm wondering if this is something that will be difficult and expensive to fix?

My second question is in regards to a throttle and shifting control mechanism. Being that this is an OMC motor made by Gale products, will I be able to use a control box from a Johnson or Evenrude motor? "

"All of OMC' engines have

"All of OMC' engines have a locking device incorporated on the timer base (the plate that holds the points, etc) under the flywheel. If the engine is in gear, and the throttle is advanced, the locking device makes it impossible to shift out of gear. Look at the starboard (right) side of the engine. You will see a vertical arm that extends to the above timer base which engages a shoulder type area of the timer base. If this is your problem, simply lower the throttle setting to idle. If on the other hand, the shift lever itself is frozen with corrosion etc, or the lower unit is jammed, you will need to go into more detail.

The control question.... If that engine has the small raised circular boss and threaded hole which will accept the screw for the "U" shaped clips that retain the throttle & shift cables, then yes, it will accept the control box, cables, etc.

Joe
"

" Zuidema, Since you already c

" Zuidema, Since you already checked the locking device under the flywheel. And you had the lower unit apart already and said it was fine. Sounds like you need to take the lower unit off the motor completely and check the shift shaft by hand. If that is O.K. then you'll need to remove the powerhead and check the linkage under the powerhead... Like I told you Saturday.
Good luck, See you later. Jeff. "

Back