Logo

1984 Evenrude 4 HP

jphinn

The water pump quit pumping wa

The water pump quit pumping water. I bought a repair manual and it say take 2 bolts out of the lower gear case and pull it out. I can't get it to seperate. Have I missed a step

You are talking about the lowe

You are talking about the lower unit not moving after removing the two bolts (?) or the water-pump base (?)

Sorry Yes I remove the two b

Sorry Yes I remove the two bols that hold the lower gear unit to the housing. This moter has been in salt water and not flused properly. I think it may be hanging up on the wter tube. If the drive shaft is not secured at the power head and the shift rod is not secured at the foot I think it should seperate

"The watertube just goes into

"The watertube just goes into a (guide) on top of the waterpump cover. It may be stuck but may not be the issue. The driveshaft may be stuck in the powerhead if the lower unit hasn't been off for a while.

Try a bit of pressure (screwdriver padded with a rag) to get it to separate - just be careful, the casting is easy to chip or crack.."

The lower unit has never been

The lower unit has never been off and I have moved the lower unit about an 1/8in and was afread I had miss somting I will continue to pry on it unless you have a better idea.

I have tried to remove lower u

I have tried to remove lower unit by prying I don't want to break or bend somthing. Is there any way to get heat or pentatrating oil to the power head.

"Before you get any further, y

"Before you get any further, your motor has at least forward and neutral correct? did you disconnect the shift-shaft??"

No shift function on an 84 ---

No shift function on an 84 --- 4hp evinrude -- according to BRP catalog.

No I did not disconnect the sh

No I did not disconnect the shift-shaft. The manual I have is an after market repare manual and it said nothing about removing the shif-shaft. I have a parts manual for this motor but not the correct repare manual. How do you disconnect the shift-shaft. I want to thak you for all your help. This motor has secentall mentall value.

"London, wasn't sure on th

"London, wasn't sure on that one. I have a little 2.5 (always in gear - no shift). Was thinking maybe the 4 had neutral/forward..."

"The 4 should have a neutral f

"The 4 should have a neutral forward, but no need to disconnect the rod.
What probably has happened is that the drive shaft is corroded stuck in the crank. The drive pin for the impeller moves about 1/8" before it hits the cup in the pump housing.
The only way is to force down the gear housing, the pump housing will be damaged as the drive shaft/impeller pin goes through the cup.
Then take off the power head with the drive shaft, put drive shaft in a vice with powerhead down, spray with WD 40 and leave for some days, carefully knock the powerhead off the driveshaft.If You are lucky, there will still be splines left in the crank shaft!!"

OK I got the foot off without

OK I got the foot off without damage to the caseing. Destroyed the pump housing. Cannot get the pump off the shaft so I remove the rubber and have put pentrating oil and heat to the pump. I am letting is soke overnight and will try go get a puller on the pump tomorow. Thanks for you help and am open for sugestions

I got the metal incert of the

I got the metal incert of the water pump off the shaft and have removed the power head and have the shaft soaking in pentrating oil. can you still by the water puphousing and pump for this motor.

I can not get shaft out of pow

I can not get shaft out of power head it looks like iI will have to apply heat but tis will destroy the seal please advise

I soaked the shaft in oil ever

I soaked the shaft in oil ever day. I put my pullers together and made a puller to pull the shaft. I got the shaft out and the splines are ok. Thank you for help.

Back