Logo

1964 90 hp Johnson meteor water pump

retro

"I just bought an old fibergla

"I just bought an old fiberglass boat with a 1964 90 hp Johnson meteor and it doesn't appear to be pumping water. I cant see how to change the water pump as it is not like the 25hp johno's i am familiar with. Anything you can tell me about these motors would be helpful, pictures where to get spares etc."

Go to the BRP website and look

Go to the BRP website and look under the 68 85hp electric shift lower.That will give you the exploded view.Trick is to use a " fish line " so you can get the shift wire back up in place.

"Bruce, Does that motor have

"Bruce, Does that motor have a single large quarter-sized round outlet in the reat of the midsection, under the powerhead? If so, you will see water+exhaust spray out of this hole, after the thermostat opens. The spray should be about 140 degrees (check with meat thermometer), after the motor is warm."

when the motor is cold will it

when the motor is cold will it pump water or do i have to wait untill the thermostat opens up. My old 25hp always spat water hot or cold so i was reluctant to let the 90hp run for fear of doing damage. Do i have to take the leg of the powerhead to get at the water pump. the exploded veiw was great but i am still abit confused. all the bolts are off that i can see but still wont come apart

you are working with the shift

you are working with the shift wire still connected???? Does it drop down a little bit???? Have you looked at the two plates on the side of the exhaust housing to feed the shift wire down???

"Bruce, That motor may have a

"Bruce, That motor may have a recirculating cooling system such that it will not spit water until the thermostat opens.

You can put your hands on the cylinder head to monitor whether the motor is overheating. if it gets too hot to touch, shut it down."

thanks for the heads up. I di

thanks for the heads up. I didnit have the wires disconected. Dont think that is the dramas though. may just be tight on the shaft and i am being a nancy and being to gentle. I am going to pull out the thermostat and see if it pumps water then. Still dont like the idea of running it for too long if the water pump is faulty

Back