Logo

Changing Water pump

carlnap

Contributing Member
I plan on removing the lower u

I plan on removing the lower unit and changing the water pump this spring myself. I have a resevior for the i/o gear lube in the engine compartment. Will I have to drain my gear oil to take of the lower unit. I have a 2003 5.0 mercruiser MPI bravo 3. Any suggestions??

"[b]"I have a 2003 5.0 mer

""I have a 2003 5.0 mercruiser MPI bravo 3. Any suggestions??"

Ayuh,.......

Bravos have an Engine Mounted Raw Water Pump........

There is No water pump in the Outdrive......"

"How often should that water p

"How often should that water pump be replaced? Is it a big deal to replace and how much do they usually run, Thanks Carl!!"

"Warren et al: Comments &

"Warren et al: Comments & thoughts on this one.

I've never heard of anyone doing it. Why not a pump, alternators have been retrofitted? It would take some thinking; bracket and pulley modification to keep the pump RPMs sufficient for idle speed, maybe a water inlet similar to a drive shower for increased water pressure while underway--don't know if you could use the OD inlet due to the draw distance. Anyone have an idea how to do this one?"

You'd have to mount an inl

You'd have to mount an inlet strainer under the hull nearby the new RW pump. No way would it pull water that far!

Jeff

"carl,
It is recommended to r

"carl,
It is recommended to replace the impeller every 3 years as a preventive maintenence item. Like the guys said you should have a raw water pump on the front lower left as you look at it. Mine is very difficult to get to. hope yours is better."

I can see no reason what so ev

I can see no reason what so ever why you cannot do away with the internal pump in the leg and then mount an external pump driven off the engine.
Bit of fiddling around to do it but it could be done.
Cheers
Peter C

Back