Logo

OMC Post b78 vs Pre b78

twright55

"Hello,
I have a '77 200h

"Hello,
I have a '77 200hp Evinrude and an '82 150hp Evinrude.
I know some major changes were made in '78 and I wanted to know how that effects the compatibility of parts between the two.
Basically, they both have some issues and I was hoping to 'mix and match' some parts to end up with one good assembly.
So before I ask a bunch of questions, is there a guide on the internet somewhere that addresses this issue?
If not, then are major componants between the two interchangeable; can I swap lowers, midsections and/or powerheads for example?
Or how about swapping carbs and linkage (as a complete assembly) or ignition systems (as a complete assembly, of course.)
THe '77 200hp has a corroded and nasty looking powerhead, but has good compression. Mid-section and lower look fine.
THe '82 150hp has a very clean looking powerhead, but one bad cylinder. The midsection is very corroded, however.
I was thinking of keeping the basic 200hp block and midsection assembly and swapping over all the other parts (carbs, ignition, and lower) from the '82 150. (the 200hp has zip ties holding the linkage together and the ignition system is all spliced up and very corroded.)
Thanks for any help.
Tom"

Back