Logo

Racor Filter Maintenance

chuckie

My new boat has Racor Filters

My new boat has Racor Filters for each Crusader engine. I think they are actually fuel/water separators. What kind of maintenance is required for these things and where does all the water go that they pull out of the fuel.

chuckie

"the water goes to the bottom

"the water goes to the bottom of the filter, or bowl. change them when you change oil. there is a valve on the bottom of the bowl, you can check for water there."

"Chuck,

These filters were

"Chuck,

These filters were mandated by Crusader due to the advent of Ethanol blended fuel. The Crusader part# R080033 element is the replacement for these filters. Keep a spare set onboard. Change them at least annually and drain them at least monthly.

Rick"

"OK You say change them and dr

"OK You say change them and drain them but not how. On the side it has a label that says something like (going from memory here). Caution, under pressure/flammable. I have never had any experience opening these things, but I know that opening something under pressure can be exciting, especially when you don't know what to expect.

Please, some more info here before I do something stupid.

Thanks, chuckie"

"follow your fuel line. should

"follow your fuel line. should go from tank, to filter, to fuel pump. filter should be on vacuum side of pump. to drain, loosen the thumbscrew on the bottom of the lower bowl.(engine off) use a bowl or watever to catch water/fuel.(a few ounces is all) to replace, unscrew like an oil filter. there will be some spillage, so plan for it. bowl unscrews from bottom of filter in same fashion. best to remove from boat, and drain first. put bowl on new filter, oil gasket, and thread back onto filter head. there should be no pressure involved."

"Scott,

>>loosen th

"Scott,

>>loosen the thumbscrew on the bottom of the lower bowl<<

I assume 2 things from that description, no tool required and don't unscrew completely, just loosen as stated, correct ?

That leads me to another question, how many fuel filters does the engine have, is there also a filter inside the "fuel control cell" ?

Thanks, chuckie"

"Chuck, That is the model 660

"Chuck, That is the model 660 filter, there is no thumbscrew, it has a pipe plug. Remove the plug with a wrench. Besides this filter, there is a filter in the F.C.C., Crusaer PN R080026. This filter is only available through your Crusader dealer, there is no aftermarket available so carry a spare with you."

"Rick,
>>That is the

"Rick,
>>That is the model 660 filter<<

It says Crusader on the side, I then assume it is made for crusader by Racor and Crusader puts their name on it. I have a smaller one that does in fact say racor on it and the line runs to the Kohler generator.

According to the 8.1 MPI parts manual there is also an inline filter pn RP077014 just before the low pressur fuel pump. That makes 3 fuel filters I have to change, correct.

chuckie"

"Rick,
Wow, are you a crusade

"Rick,
Wow, are you a crusader tech. rep. You are exactly correct, no wonder I couldn't find the in-line filter, thnaks so much for clearing that up.

Is the fuel/water separator that has Crusader written on it actually a Racor fuel/water seperator.

So from what you say I have a filter in the "fuel control cell" and one in the fuel/water seperator, is that correct?

chuckie"

"Chuck,

That a yes on all c

"Chuck,

That a yes on all counts. Crusader prefers to call us "Premier Dealers"."

"Note there is both a separato

"Note there is both a separator and a filter on a well set up boat. The first removes coarse particles and water, the latter removes fine particles.

Jeff"

"Hey Guys,
All of you left ou

"Hey Guys,
All of you left out the most important item when performing maintenance on these thing. I found out the hard way, yes, it's my stupidity, but someone should have mentioned it.

So, for future reference, DON"T FORGET TO CLOSE THE FUEL SHUTOFF VALVE."

"no, the most important item i

"no, the most important item is: don't use a candle for light. or was it use some common sense? I can't remember, but I think it was one of those."

I have a fuel filter that moun

I have a fuel filter that mounts on the front of the engine and it had a Racor R11T filter in it.

It is a 2003 5.7 MPI

I took it out to see what I needed and ordered one.

Know my problem is I'm not excatly sure how they go back in.

It comes with a o ring and gasket. I see the o ring goes around the black end in the groove - where does the gasket go and also which end is up - the black rubber covered end or the brown/marron rubber part that is on the other end

Also is this the correct filter to be useing with the new ethonol gas? I also have a inline screen like filter between the tank and first pump then the water/fuel separator that goes to the hi pressure pump in the cooling tank. Is there a filter in the cooling tank pump also?

Thanks for any help before I screw it up on the first filter change

"Hi Guys, I read in Scotts pos

"Hi Guys, I read in Scotts post that the Racor filter/separator needs to be installed on the vacuum side of the fuel pump? I this true? While I have starred at them 5 or 600 times, I need to check mine for proper installation. They may be right but I gotta go check this out"

Back