Logo

Firstime Buyer 98hp vs 18hp

vpsaline

"Hi guys, Im looking for a 4st

"Hi guys, Im looking for a 4stroke outboard motor to bring with me on fishing trips to nearby Outfitters. I cant stand inhaling their cheap 2stroke fumes anymore! Im in Canada so every brand except Tohatsu would be in canadian prices
sad.gif
, american Tohatsu dealers however appear not to mind shipping to canadian residents. I am strongly considering buying a Tohatsu right now since american retail prices are at least 33%-50% cheaper then other brands (honda,yami,suzu...) withing canada. ~1600$ vs ~3000$

Now I not only care about price, but also weight and power. Going from a Tohatsu 9.8hp to 18hp is going from 83lbs to 117lbs
sad.gif
. Does the added power justify the added weight? Will I be able to travel on medium sized lakes considerably quicker and be game to venture further with a 18hp versus 9.8hp? I remember using 9.9hp 2stroke mercury engines and not enjoying going much further then 30mins ride away from my starting point. Some remote spots would take almost two hours to reach with this little 9.9 merc, and I often opted not to go because of feeling uncomfortable being so far away with such a small engine.

Is 18hp too powerful for your average outfitter boat? Do i risk not being able to use it with common types of boats? Does your average boat need "short" or "long" shaft? Im thinking going with long.

Thanks!"

"Does the added power just

"Does the added power justify the added weight? Will I be able to travel on medium sized lakes considerably quicker and be game to venture further with a 18hp versus 9.8hp?
Is 18hp too powerful for your average outfitter boat? Do i risk not being able to use it with common types of boats? Does your average boat need "short" or "long" shaft? Im thinking going with long."

These questions can only be answered by you based on your individual perceptions and on the exact application of boat.

"ya but is 18hp 3mph more or 1

"ya but is 18hp 3mph more or 10+mph more? I have no clue.

I mean outfitter boats appear to be pretty generic, do you have a rough idea of their max hp rating?

common man, gimme some tips, im desperate here, I want to hear people opinions on this, with more experience then me."

Depends on the individual boat

Depends on the individual boat and how that boat is loaded. There is a huge difference between a 12' with a 300lb load and an 18' with a 500lb load. Different brands have different ratings and perform differently. You have to narrow this down a little first.

"Looking into this, it appears

"Looking into this, it appears to be Cadorette 14" 325lbs boat with 25hp rating which is good. 18hp seems fine, even their 10ft boats are rated at 25hp and I definately wasnt using a 10ft boat.

http://www.sepaq.com/Photos/J380/PecheDozois.jpg"
http://www.cadorette.ca/images/imgnouveau/r140-1.jpg"

Assume a 14foot 325lbs boat +2 adults and standard gear what kinda of topspeed difference are we looking at between 9.8 vs. 18hp. Thanks for shedding light onto this for me."

"Its smarter going with a long

"Its smarter going with a long shaft version right? You ~can~ run a longshaft on a short boat, but absolutely cant run a short shaft on a longshaft boat? Longshafts are more common aswell? Shortshaft boats are mostly inflateables?"

Nope. The shaft length needs t

Nope. The shaft length needs to match the individual boat. A long shaft engine on a short shaft boat is extremely inefficient and a short shaft engine on a long shaft boat will burn up the engine.

"Finaly, the company I had in

"Finaly, the company I had in mind only ships outboards to canadians up to the 15hp tohatsu, no higher. Does your website ship the 18hp to Canada?"

"Porte-Bote again[img][/img]Ye

"Porte-Bote again
Yes, we do. However, There is a $250.00 freight surcharge and you would owe GST on arrival. I would urge you to buy from a Canadian dealer if it possible."

I have a 2005 tohatsu 4stroke

I have a 2005 tohatsu 4stroke 9.8 25" shaft O.B.that I use as a trolling motor on my Sportcraft 232 fishing on the great lakes. what prop can I put on this motor to get max. thrust in waves?

you made agood point when ment

you made agood point when mentioning the 9.9 mercury you had it brings up power to weight like tohatsu guru said is worth the weight now with tohatsu the 9.9hp weighs roughly the same as the 18hp and to make a 9.9 in 18hp you could chage the carb and camshaft. but my experiences with these engines i have found there wimpy compared to the old 9.9 D2 the nissan had i have also noticed that between the 15 and the 18 top end on the test boat you get 1 mph extra. if your looking for a speed demon i would not recommend a four stroke id look for an old 20hp mercury or 15hp to stroke theres more torque with less weight and if compared on two identical boats a two stroke would win as far as speed now if your an eco nazi at lower speeds the 4 strokes burn less gas but i have noticed when your wide open they actaully burn more than a 2 stroke of the same size but you could have different results a a jon boat we tested on a small 15 ft boat made by american skiff its a 20mph boat. and with the 9.9 carb it went 15- 18 mph

"FWIW: I put a 2006 Tohatsu 9.

"FWIW: I put a 2006 Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke on a 14-ft Starcraft aluminum boat, and got 17 mph out of it. With the 1978 2-stroke Evinrude 15 hp the boat came with, 18 mph. Both GPS clocked, with about 500# of boat and people. Not a very significant difference."

Back