Logo

7 HP Montgomery Ward Clinton

great idea about removing the

great idea about removing the prop. Is it a lot of trouble to pull the power head?

Thanks for the reply

"No trouble, but the gaskets c

"No trouble, but the gaskets can be expensive, I've cut them from stock plastic asbestos sheet from Napa. Just takes a lot of time. Will send you the book."

"success, I removed the upper

"success, I removed the upper pump housing, the impeller and the lower pump housing. I faced each of them off carefully with a flat file (I learned this trick with aluminum carbureator flanges on lawn mowers as a kid) and coated them with a sealer.

I decided to splurge and enlarge (a couple drill sizes) the water feed holes in the side of the foot. They just seemed puney and the part of the housing that they are in is not a structural area.

When I fired it up I had water every where, out the upper exhaust relief, out all sides of the powerhead gasket......lol, at least I have water. Also, I know exactly where the powerhead bolts are so now I can replace it. Thanks for the help and the manual is neat."

"Glad you got her going. And t

"Glad you got her going. And there is still some summer left.

Sometimes that gasket under the power head will swell up and stop leaking on it's own. You might try tightening the bolts just a little while its running and see if the leaks stop.

Glad the book helped. It's a little generic, but seems to cover most of the permutations of those many manufactures. My biggest hurtle was parts numbers -and most of those are Wards numbers as I had access to their micro fisch sheets. Even have a list- but as they are out of business, and micro- fisch is obsolete, I left them out. When I'm done, I'll get the finished book on the web site. But need more feed back and find out where are the errors and hard to understand parts."

"I took the power head off and

"I took the power head off and cleaned up the plate and both surfaces. I couldn't find any high temp gasket sheets so I decided to us a gray colored permatex brand liquid sealer that has a tem rating of 650 degrees. I have used it as a gasket replacement before with good luck. So, in about 24 hours (cure time) I will report in with results"

"tested it early, couldn't

"tested it early, couldn't wait.. no leaks, only leak was at the shifter shaft and I am not going to worry about that"

Pretty common leak there. If y

Pretty common leak there. If you get real bored you can remove the shaft and find a spot for an "O" ring seal with lots of grease.

"realllly bored....lol. Sorry

"realllly bored....lol. Sorry gotta move to the next project, painting my daughter's room"

"want to hear a funny?

I h

"want to hear a funny?

I have a down syndrome son, he is a handfull and really likes to tinker. I got the little engine all tuned up and carb set, it was really pulling on the high end. So I took it and put it on the boat to do a real test. It dies in the middle of the pond, won't restart no matter what I do. I hand paddle back to the bank, set it up in the garbage can. I try everything, finally I pull the flywheel, thought I must have broke the key and lost the timing. Everything is ok. Put it back to gether. Getting ready to pull the reed valves when I noticed a little water in the edge of the carb......I pulled the float bowl and found water.

I figure, pump the bulb a few times and clear out any water in the tank. A gallon later I realize my little helper had taken the garden hose and filled the gas tank....

He has been watching me work on this thing so he knew it was really important....lol

He pulls several stunts a day like this. It never gets dull at our house"

Gee dad he was just trying to

Gee dad he was just trying to be involved in what you were doing --the wet stuff goes in here ???Right?

Those little guys are so much fun!

"Moral of the story - a good w

"Moral of the story - a good water separating filter can even take care of the "unexpected"
"

my little 7hp monty ward decid

my little 7hp monty ward decided to get a hole in the brass fuel float.....have I read somewhere that I can go to a clinton lawn mower parts place and still get something like this. Or is Clinton a still going brand even?

have had no luck finding a flo

have had no luck finding a float that will fit and work in my 7 hp clinton M/W engine... any hints on how to cross referance or something?

Hi Folks, New member here... Ok A Monkey Wards (Clinton K 700) 7 hp always in forward gear. Seems like I saw some post on the web LATE last night talking about a busted shift spring. Looked for a owners/repair book but no luck there. Is the repair / parts worth it or should I have it sleep with the fishes? The unit looks about new and starts runs fine......Thanks in advance for your time,.........PJ.............

Last edited:
Re: i have sea king pdf files for

Any chance these PDF's can still be gotten? I have a Clinton Engine K7002106A Sea King.

Good afternoon, I just bought a 70's Clinton "Sea King" 7hp. Clinton plate says K700. Motor ran well when we started it up. 50:1 oil/gas mix. Ran a full throttle for the 1st 20 min. Fished a while, when I started the engine it would not run at full throttle, only at low RPM. Looking for advice.

Would appreciate any manuals too. Thanks, CCF

exRe: 7 HP Montgomery Ward Clinton

Good afternoon, I just bought a 70's Clinton "Sea King" 7hp. Clinton plate says K700. Motor ran well when we started it up. 50:1 oil/gas mix. Ran a full throttle for the 1st 20 min. Fished a while, when I started the engine it would not run at full throttle, only at low RPM. Looking for advice.

Would appreciate any manuals too. Thanks, CCF
I have a 72 k700 Clinton and if yours is air cooled llike mine, you need to stop using 2cycle outboard ooil and use chainsaw 2cycle oil at 24:1, mine runs great on that mixture. Been told that 50:1 will bog it down, give her a try.

Hi. guys,

This is Daniel from RUNLEDER in China.
we have been specialized in R&D, manufacturing and marketing hour meter, tachometer for jet ski, outboard motor, ATV etc for 6 years.

We have resettable tach/hour meter RL-HM032R for outboard motor as follows for your information.

RL-HM032R Resettable tach/hour meter with engine service reminder,backlight and battery changable,display battery level. over speed alert.

Are you interested in RL-HM032R for jet ski?

Kind regards !

Daniel

Re: i have sea king pdf files for

i have sea king pdf files for carbs and complete tear down if you would like me to email them to you

If you still have it would you mind sharing with me? I recently obtained a K700 with an aluminum boat and it appears it's going to require a little carb work. I can get it to run when fully choked only. If its partially choked It'll be last for a short while before it dies off. It'll die nearly instantly with no choke.

[email protected]

Re: Water pumps and Shooting in the dark

Hi folks, new member here.
I just picked up what I think is a early 70's 7HP monkey Ward, Clinton k700 2107A for $130.
I was told it runs, and I pretty sure it's air-cooled and the water pump is just for the exhaust. But I wanted to be sure that I don't burn anything up, so I'm trying to take off the lower end to check the water pump.

I've taken off the gear cover to repack the grease which looks like a light milk chocolate, and tried taking off the screw and bolt that holds the lower end together, it came loose but i couldn't pull the lower end apart. Then I read somewhere you had to take off the power head to remove the lower end, so I disconnected the shifting linkage, pulled the carburetor off, and took out the six bolts that hold the power head on. However again it came loose will not separate easily.

So before I break something with my wonderbar trying to separate the power head from the leg, does anyone have any advice.
PS if anybody has the PDF manual for this I'd REALLY appreciate a copy, as this is my first outboard, and I'm kind of relying on my auto mechanic skills, which is apparently pretty much like shooting in the dark and hoping to bag a six point buck. Haha
My email is [email protected], any help would be appreciated..

Help. I have the same motor and today the lever to shift from neutral to forward came of and fell in the lake, it's gone. The motor still runs and prop spins. Do I need this and is it fixable?

Back