Logo

7 HP Montgomery Ward Clinton

fuzzy

i just picked up this engine.

i just picked up this engine. M/N: K700 2107A S/N: 650 8010 Type: 6027370R. Everything works except the plastic gears that are on the tiller handle are stripped out. Any idea where I could find replacements. I seen in a couple of posts that Johnson/Evinrude parts may be able to be used but I'm not sure if they use the same style gears. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"I have a wards sea king 7 hp,

"I have a wards sea king 7 hp,is the outboard air cooled?,and what is the oil fuel mix?the outboard started right up i used a 50 to 1 mix and onlr ran the motor for 3 minutes,i want to make sure i use the proper mix and needed to know do i use 2 cycle lawnmower oil to mix.thank you for your asssistance.richard"

"Travis, you could try [url=""

"Travis, you could try www.twincityoutboards.com - a little expensive but have parts for almost every outboard produced.

Richard. If you are positive it's a 7 horse (and not a 7.5), then it is a 1969 model built by Eska (the only model year where a 7 was produced for Wards by any mfg). If that's the case it is an air-cooled engine (powerhead built by Tecumseh). You should be mixing at 24:1 using regular 2 cycle engine oil (lawnmower/chainsaw), not marine oil. It will run nice on 50:1 until you eventually weld the piston...."

i have sea king pdf files for

i have sea king pdf files for carbs and complete tear down if you would like me to email them to you

"Yes, please send them to me.

"Yes, please send them to me. I already replaced the gears. I ordered the gears from McMaster Carr and they worked. But I would like to have a diagram in case something else is wrong. my email. [email protected]"

"is it possible to hook up a t

"is it possible to hook up a temperature gauge to a 1968 33hp sea horse johnson,if it is ,how do you do it,once i get the water carculating properly,i want to have a gauge to look at ,to make sure it is ok,lastly what should the proper temperature be?pleas ereply"

"I have a brand new 1969 Wards

"I have a brand new 1969 Wards-Clinton K700.
The manual says to use leaded gasoline. Does the 24:1 with regular 2-cycle oil make up for the unleaded gas? During the break-in period, it's calling for adding 1/2 pint of marine oil to the gas for the first 5 hours. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!"

I all so have a 7hp Sea King o

I all so have a 7hp Sea King outboard. Looking at the different posts I'm confused on which fuel mix to use. Is it 50:1 or 24:1 or some thing else? This was given to me and I don't even know the last time it ran.}

"Fred, called for Leaded gas b

"Fred, called for Leaded gas because the other option at the time was "white marine gas". You can run unleaded but you may want to change the fuel lines on the motor for 2 reasons. First, after sitting this long they may have dry rotted - secondly, the ethanol in the fuel now eats the old rubber which was not designed to handle it.

And yes, during the break in you run "more" oil to allow all the parts to settle in properly. So follow your instructions. Use regular two cycle motor oil (such as used for lawnmowers/chainsaws) NOT marine rated TCW-3 (or any of the TCW's) which are designed to burn up at lower temps in water cooled motors....

Brian, it may seem confusing because Sea King was built by a number of different companies over the years - so depending on the actual mfg and year it was built, plus whether it was air-cooled or water-cooled will affect what oil you run and at what ratio.

Post you model number and can give you answer..."

Graham I have been reviewing s

Graham I have been reviewing some of the posts here about fuel mixture for the 7.5 Sea King by Clinton and it looks like a 24:1 mixture but on my motor housing cover for the 7.5 it is printed 3 oz of gas per gallon 3 per gallon is a 50:1 ratio correct? but if this creates a problem then I would rather run it rich on 24:1 than sieze metal parts Pleas advise and thanks

"Thanks for the info Graham, T

"Thanks for the info Graham, The engine is a Montgomery Wards built by Clinton Motors and the model # is k7002107 A. Hope this helps."

"i have a 1988 50 hp mariner,i

"i have a 1988 50 hp mariner,is this made by yamaha? also theiris a prong plug tyhat comes from the electric connection to the motor,what does that go to ,a tach?,also their is a 5 or 6 prong plug that comes off the throttlr box ,what is that for? the motor runs just fine,i would like to know thank you richard"

"i have a 1988 50hp mercury ma

"i have a 1988 50hp mercury mariner,replace the selenoid,while tracing thew problem i took the control box apart,now it rund ,go's ingear and idles,but it does not accelerate how do i fix?"

"I am really confused about wh

"I am really confused about what fuel mix to use.
I have a Ward Sea King that says 7 on the cap so I am assuming that it is 7hp but it is mfg by Clinton and I saw a post that the only mfg co that made a 7hp for Ward was Eska? It is model K700 1106A, s/n 443328, type 60 27207R. Please help me figure this out."

"Tracy, sorry to confuse you,

"Tracy, sorry to confuse you, I did post that a number of posts back - my fault, missed a listing for the single model year (1973) that Wards sold a 7 horse Clinton model K700.

The K700 is actually the Clinton model number.

My Clinton manual for that model states to mix 3 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas. My math has never been the greatest but that sounds like about 40:1 (42.6:1 exactly)"

Thanks Graham that helps a lot

Thanks Graham that helps a lot and I really appreciate it. I hope you don't mind answering two more question for me. Do you know what the gap on the spark plug should be and do you know if this engine is air cooled or water cooled?

Thanks Again

"Tracy, this is an air cooled

"Tracy, this is an air cooled engine, so you should use regular 2 cycle motor oil such as used with lawnmowers - Marine oil is designed to burn up at the lower temperatures associated with water cooling and can cause problems for you.

The spark plug gap should be .025" and the points gap is .020""

"Gentlemen, I have purchased a

"Gentlemen, I have purchased a Wards Sea King 7HP K700 1106A. Not sure of the year. The problem I have is gas emmiting from a tiny hole under the air/fuel mixture screw. I was told it was a float problem. So I ordered a rebuild kit and replaced the main seat for the float. I have the float adjusted as high as I can and it still seams to be getting to much fuel. I am stumped. The engine runs perfect if you remove the vacuume tube from the impulse fuel pump and the gas stops squirting out of that hole. Any ideas would be appreciated."

"I just bought a 1973 Wards cl

"I just bought a 1973 Wards clinton 7hp. It runs great. I was wondering, does it have a waterpump to cool the exhaust? I know the engine is air cooled but I read some where that some of these old air cooled still had a water pump....I checked the exhaust and it does not have any water coming out while it is running. I just don't want to burn anything up. tks"

"There were 2 styles of water

"There were 2 styles of water pump for that model. Most common was the 2" long with all the "feathers" on it the short pump would be one made for the small mercury out boards. It came in 2 shaft sizes, so you will need your old pump to get the right one."

"They are still around- the me

"They are still around- the merc one from any marina,(47-89980) and the tall one from sears or one of the many post I've seen links to. Sorry but I didn't write them down. (ward #220-136-5000)"

"I found a waterpump and insta

"I found a waterpump and installed it, I am not getting any water spray from the pee holes that are above water level,,,,I am getting exhaust though. As far as I can tell I am not getting any water out of the lower exhaust either.

How do I tell if I have gotten the water discharge pipe to hook up correctly during installation? I took it apart a second time to check but no luck."

"They only pump when the engin

"They only pump when the engine is in gear??? So remove your prop and put in gear (so it won't eat the sides out of your trash can) You should get a misting from you upper exhaust relief. It never was real impressive. If you still have problems, take the power head off and spin the drive shaft with a drill. (use leather or something to protect the splines). It should pump right up the water tube- use cordless or cover your drill with a rain coat."

Back