Logo

Head Bolts and Crankcase Bolts Sealants

jagiem

"Guys, finally getting my 70 h

"Guys, finally getting my 70 hp Johnson rebuilt and I am ready to seal up the crankcase halves as well as putting back the head.

It's been a while since I have done this but is there anything I should be putting on either the head bolts (such as aviation permatex, loctite etc.,) or on the crancase bolts prior to final assembly? Thank yo for your help."

Mike..... Just a slight bit of

Mike..... Just a slight bit of Anti Corrosion grease on bolts in both of those areas would be fine.

You don't want anything that might interfere with the torque process or later on contribute to a jamming/seizing of the bolt(s).

"Thank you Joe. It's been

"Thank you Joe. It's been at least 15 years since I last tore down an OMC outboard to the crank. Didn't want to screw anything up as I have just put back 3 new pistons and bearings etc.

Hope it runs when all is done. Getting ready for the spring here in upstate NY.

On another somewhat related question, would the transom bolt pattern for 1993 70hp Johnson be the same for any other 50hp - 70hp outboard when bolting to the transom of a 15' Boston Whaler. I really want to avoid drilling holes that may need to be moved if I ever eventualy buy a new ETEC some day?

Thanks again."

Back