Logo

Sea King 40 HP Info Needed Made by Gale Products for Montgomery Ward

J

Jim Reilly

"I acquired a boat/trailer/eng

"I acquired a boat/trailer/engine per a "game of chance" ;-) , and would like some info on the engine.

Known Info:
Sea King Forty - 40hp
Model: GG187446
Serial: 26X860701
Made by Gale Products for Montgomery Ward
2 Spark Plug's: J6C (current plug in there)

from a 14' Lone Star Monterey boat and Elgin Trailer

Here are my questions:
* What Year Engine was made (I heard its around 1959'ish)
* Gas/Oil Mixture?
* Type of gas/oil?
* What type of Drive oil?
* Correct Spark Plugs and what is the Gap?
* Air Cooled?
* Where can I get parts?
* Where can I get a manual?
* Any other good info...?

It supposedly ran Ok about 2 yrs ago, but sputtered somewhat and might need a carb. tune-up (which is outside my expertise) (Any easy ideas)

Any info would be much appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

-Jim Reilly"

Most of the consumable parts a

Most of the consumable parts are common to JOHNSON / EVINRUDE motors of the same era. So rest assured most are on the shelf at any " good " dealer.

Those carburetors are realy qu

Those carburetors are realy quite simple and you really need to learn how to do your own work as shop time is making these motors " not worth fixing " but they are better built than the new plastic wonder motors from the far east.

"Just thought I would update m

"Just thought I would update my previous questions. I talked to a local snow and water shop, and without looking up with the info I gave him, he said that the 40HP uses a 50:1 ratio for gas/oil and spark plug gap is: .030.

The engine year is 1962 per discount-marine-parts.com and reading backwards from X for the year.

Tkx,
Jim"

"Well I tried to start the mot

"Well I tried to start the motor. It turns over. Starter works well. A little gas comes out the choke. Gas is getting in the system. Some smoke is coming out of engine. But, does not start. I also tried shooting in some starting fluid in choke/carb. I'm gonna check the points w/ my Uncle's help. We're gonna clean the points and such. Does anyone know the points gap? Any other good info???

Tkx,
Jim"

usually a business card to set the gap will get you enough spark to atleast kick over on starting fluid, on the iboats.com forum there are several members dedicated to these engines specifically with diagrams and manuals for download

We used a matchbook cover to set the points, a dime to gap the plug, and a dollar bill to clean the points! I don't think the new dollar bills are as abrasive as they use to be, they seem to slip through my fingers alot easier today than they use to! Set the points at .019, gap the plugs at .030 as stated perviously.

Back