Logo

1998 40hp Mariner 2Stroke Fuel problems

misha

"Hi people, 1st posting on thi

"Hi people, 1st posting on this good site. This is the 1st bit of trouble Ive had with this motor during 10 good years of use. At the moment she fires up every time but cuts out after 2 seconds.Fuel is fresh, new spark plugs are sparking, good battery contact & fuel lines/ bulbs are OK.Would appreciate any help. Regards, Glen."

"Try to keep it running by pum

"Try to keep it running by pumping the primer bulb. If it wants to keep going, rebuild the fuel pump."

"Thanks for the info mate. I&#

"Thanks for the info mate. I"ll try that out this afternoon & post the result back.Cheers, Glen,"

"IBN,Tried the bulb pumping. S

"IBN,Tried the bulb pumping. Same result,cut out while pumping. Noticed a lot of petrol around the base. Carbies dirty? The in-line white plastic fuel filter fills to only 3/4 when under hard bulb pressure. Maybe the filter inside might be dirty. I"ll have a go at that next. Good fishing day today also!! Glen."

"Replaced the fuel filter, tro

"Replaced the fuel filter, trouble still exists. Motor off to the local Doctor tomorrow. I will report back on the outcome. Glen."

"Just picked the boat up from

"Just picked the boat up from the Doctor. Diagnosis- little pieces of rubber in the carby! $100 Australian for the work. Would have taken me hours to do the job & would have caused more damage with my poking & prodding. Thankyou for the replies & suggestions. I hope I can help someone with troubles in the future. Cheers, Glen."

"Hi Thank you for any help.

"Hi Thank you for any help.
40 hp mariner 4cyl 2 stroke told about 10 years old ?
Warm or cold all controls ready to start, no fire, move fast idle lever enough to move ign. plate, fires and starts right away?
Removed ignition everything looks good no bare wires no rub marks anywhere. There is a small crack on one of the pickup areas. looking for ohm readings or any thoughts/suggestions.
THANK YOU Jason"

Back