MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Volvo Penta parts and manuals!

Default "I've just pulled off the

"I've just pulled off the starboard head on my chevy 350 (Volvo penta 570, 4 barrel holley carb) and it needs at least new pistons (big chunk missing from number 3). There also seems to be a fair bit of internal rust (seawater cooled), head gasket was blown, no oil coming up thru push rods and riser needs replacing... although the head looks in OK condition.
    If I replace my engine with a fuel injected engine that has a closed water cooling system, what modifications and/or changes would be required?
    Is fuel injected the best way to go?
    Will it simply bolt on to the existing bellhousing/flywheel? (Volvo Penta 290dp stern leg)
    Will I have to put a fuel pump into the tank like a car?
    Anything else?
    thanks
    Lee."

Default "Lee, I also have a 350 Chevy

"Lee, I also have a 350 Chevy in my boat (ex-AQ311) with a 4-barrel Holley, and I am happy with the arrangement. Fuel injection may be more efficient, but is not as foolproof and easy to troubleshoot as a carbed system; and that can make a big difference if you have problems a few miles away from port. If you are interested, you may want to have a look at the Seloc manual for 1992-2003 engines, as it has a good description of the fuel injection system components. But whichever way you go (carbed or FI) I would definitely install a closed cooling system.

Chevy 350 engines come with two different flywheel sizes: 12-3/4" and 14". In short, an engine with a 14" flywheel will not fit in the old bellhousing style for the 12-3/4" flysheel, as there will be no room to install the starter.

And no, you won't have to install a fuel pump inside the fuel tank.."
    [URL]http://www.grandmaraismichigan.com/Recreation/fisherman.gif[/URL]

Default "Thanks for that info. I'

"Thanks for that info.
    I'm thinking that I'll get a reco 350 long with closed water system and rebuild my current one over the next couple of months. Still not sure on the FI as i have no experience with it.

Is it correct to say that whatever chevy 350 I replace mine with that I can just swap the flywheel and bellhousing if they are not the same?

Also, Will I have to do any modifications to my boat for a closed water system?

Now i just have to find a chevy 350 marine engine in New Zealand !!!

Thanks El Pescador, it's great to have a place to get great non-biased answers."

Default "Lee, the 12-3/4" and a 14

"Lee, the 12-3/4" and a 14" flywheels have different bolt patterns, and so do the crankshafts. It seems that there are aftermarket 12-3/4" flywheels that fit the newer crankshfts (1987 at after).

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/FLYWHEELS/Flywheels

The vibration dampers are also different in size.

If your engine is 1990 or newer, chances are it has the 14" flywheel and the corresponding bellhousing, so I think your best bet would be finding a replacement long block of the same vintage. Make sure you also get the correct camshaft.

Normally, there are no modifications needed in a boat to install a closed cooling system. The one I have is installed on the top front of the engine, but some kits can be mounted on the front side of the engine. Here are some options:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/VOL7B/F...;for+Volvo"
    [URL]http://www.grandmaraismichigan.com/Recreation/fisherman.gif[/URL]

Default "Now that I've taken all t

"Now that I've taken all that onboard, I've decided to have my current engine rebuilt and add a heat exchanger for the closed water cooling system. And while I've got the boat out of the water I may as well defoul and get the sterndrive serviced.
    thanks again for your help, it's been invaluable."