Logo

Honda 50 hp has rough idle and boggs to full throttle

brokeleg

The rough idle seems like it i

The rough idle seems like it is running on 2 cylinders? It is a 2006 by the way. When I go to full throttle it boggs and sometimes dies. All you have to do is touch the key and it is running again. I do not have a shop manual but being a shade tree mechanic I decided I would take the carbs off yesterday and clean them with chemtool. I didn't find anything that made me believe they were stopped up. There was a green film in the bowls of the bottom two. Just not two much. It seemed to help with me cleaning but only slightly. Any ideas?

When you talk re-sync are you

When you talk re-sync are you talking linkage ajustment or does it have something to do with the vaccum

Carbureted motors " suffer

Carbureted motors " suffer " from sitting idle! Fuel today is not the same as it was 20 years ago and goes bad much quicker.That is to say that when they are left to sit with fuel in the carburetors then over a period of time a thin film / coating forms in the carburetor.That reduces the size of jets and can result in bogging.So take some advice and run the fuel out of the carburetors when you are done boating for a week or two.

Thank you JUST-IN-TIME. By the

Thank you JUST-IN-TIME. By the way in my area the dealers want $500 just to clean them plus parts. Good money for a 3 hour job. I may try it one more time with the book and some more knowledge thanks to you....

replace the jet sets when you

replace the jet sets when you rebuild the carbs. They form hairline cracks in them after several hours on the motor and will not run right.

"After the third time apart, i

"After the third time apart, i managed to get them cleaned and running like a new one. I used an ultrasonic bath with B12 in it to clean the jets. Be sure to remove all o-rings first. I ordered some o-rings and an intake gasket and she is in the water as I type. Already have 25 nice cats in the box. Thankyou for all your help. By the way I did inspect the jet sets with a magnifying glass to make sure no hair line cracks.

THANK YOU....."

"'05 50....Bogging? Yes.

"'05 50....Bogging? Yes. Hard Starting? Yes. Covered by warranty....per dealer No (even though it has done this when "new, out of the box"). Get this....per dealer..."Honda's are just hard to start". Anyway,I assume that jets are clogged. Can they be cleaned without removing the carbs by draining the bowls, then removing the crankcase ventilation hose(?) on the top of the carb and shooting carb cleaner into the hose tube until the bowl is full of carb cleaner and letting set for a few days?"

"Sorry mate, I think you need

"Sorry mate, I think you need to review your " procedure " for starting the motor.Read the manual and follow it.Carburetors are best cleaned by the " no shortcut method ", take them apart.It sounds to me that you have no support from your local dealer and a shop manual would be a very smart investment.Just 2 cents."

"gene mckinney
you got a BAD

"gene mckinney
you got a BAD dealer!
sounds like auto techs gone marine like 85% of the world
trust me i would make tons of $ if i worked on cars, but i hate road tar!

pull carbs and rebuild, no cleaning fluids BS
if they sold a mechanic in a can, there would never be problems

by a the CARB manual like L/M says"

"Thanks Guys. Like you say, I

"Thanks Guys. Like you say, I have a lousy dealer - and another dealer doesn't want to touch it either. They must not get any money for warranty work. Oh well, live and learn. Next time I won't get a Honda (and I'm advising my friends the same). Anway, at this point I guess I don't have anything to lose by trying to flood the bowls with carb cleaner. I'll let you know if it works."

"Gene I had to take my carbs o

"Gene I had to take my carbs off and take the jets out and clean them. I bought the carb soak stuff from Chemtool. Put the parts in there and let them soak for a couple hours. WARNING Be sure to remove ALL o-rings and gaskets before doing this. Washed off and put everything back together. I did have to order some gaskets and o-rings. A couple things that may make it easier for you is: Take the carbs off by taking the intake manifold off and then disassembling the carbs. Much easier. This will require a new manifold gasget. Also, the main thing I found stopped up was the jet set, the brass tube. Take the bowl off and in the center is a plug with a screw driver slot. Remove it. There are two tubes in that hole one inside the other pay attention to how they are aligned. reach in the throat of the carb and push on the brass tube that should push them out. I cleaned everything else with B12 Chemtool spray. I also installed some tubes and drain my carbs as soon as I get home. So far so good. Good luck..."

"Thanks Chris. A couple of qu

"Thanks Chris. A couple of questions ......do you know what the little white, plastic gizmo (about the size of your thumb) that sits on top of the top carb is? I think it has something to do with the "choke" function. It has a brass plunger on the underside. Does it act in a way that is noticeable (because I can't tell that mine is doing anything). I'm grasping at straws here that it may have something to do with why my motor won't easily crank. I mean, after the motor finally gets going and is warm, it idles and runs fine. It's just the initial, cold crank, that is very problematic. My old mechanic sense says that I have a choke problem, but as far as I can tell, there isn't a choke function on the engine! The butterflies in he throat of the carbs are closed and won't move with the starting throttle. (I wonder if they are supposed to?) They open all the way with the gear shift throttle. Any thoughts?"

I figured out that the "gi

I figured out that the "gizmo" I mentioned above is a solenoid that sits atop the upper carb. Any idea on how to test if it is working properly?

"I also didn't think the c

"I also didn't think the choke was working "gizmo". My motor took longer to start than I felt like it should. After cleaning the carbs it fires with in 1 to 2 revolutions. I don't know how to test it, but if I felt like needed to I would put an amp meter on it and look for a change to see if it is pulling any current. If it is working it will pull current. Do you drain your carbs each time you use your motor? Since I have started doing this I have also noticed improved starting. Don't know why??? Fresh gas???"

"Chris,
Thanks for putting me

"Chris,
Thanks for putting me on the trail of using B-12. My motor cranks fine now! It was either the B-12 sprayed into what I think is the crankcase exhaust relief ports on top of the carbs or it was me taking apart / reassembling the cold crank "solenoid gizmo" on top of the upper carb. The solenoid was definitely malfunctioning / I believe it was assembled wrong (maybe at the factory). Also you were right about the B-12 being a hot solvent. That stuff will take the hide right off you. I used nitrile gloves, and it blistered them too!"

Back