Logo

Yamaha 30 HP lower unit removal

R

Ron Ritchuk

"I just bought a used 1987 Yam

"I just bought a used 1987 Yamaha outboard 30 HP model 30SH. I want to remove the lower unit to change the water pump impeller. After removing all 5 bolts, the lower unit drops about 1 inch but no further because the gear shift rod will not come out of the lower unit. How do I separate the gear shift rod on this model?"

"look <[img]"http://www.marine

"look
146000.gif

#13 is what you need to loosen"

Thank you for yor response.

Thank you for yor response.

#13 appears to be a lock nut. On my motor there is a 1 inch long hexagonal adjusting nut just above #13 which joins together the upper and lower parts of the shift rod. The hexagonal adjusting nut does not appear in your schematic (it is probably on the next level up schematic). Are you saying that if I turn the hexagonal adjusting nut the 2 parts of the shift rod will separate? If so I will note the number of threads showing past the lock nut and re-set it to the same number of threads after my repair is complete.

Does this sound correct?

might be 2-10mm nuts not sure

might be 2-10mm nuts not sure

i use 2 open-end wrenches on my 9.9 to drop lower unit

Thank you for your help. I use

Thank you for your help. I used 2 open-end wrenches 10mm to separate the shift rod and the lower unit came off easily.

Can anyone tell me if the diag

Can anyone tell me if the diagram shown on this post also applies to a 1988 80hp long shaft Yamaha?

I have noticed the gear shift shaft seems to be getting corroded (salt water use) and thought it would be good to change this before I have problems out on the water! Are there any easy-to-follow instructions for this job?

Any help would be appreciated!

Frustrated Kiwi ....

Many thanks for the assistance

Many thanks for the assistance. I think the the URL you provided linking to the exploded diagram will be most helpful.

What a great site! Couldn't find anything like this here in New Zealand. Will pass this on to my friends in the hope they will find this as helpful as I have!

Back