Logo

1993 Carbureted 115 Hp Yamaha

yardboss

"I have one of my boats that I

"I have one of my boats that I enjoy using, but has aggrevated me over the years. Many times I go to start it and It spins and spins, and doesn't fire. After about 20 minutes of trying and waiting, it finally starts. After that it never misses a lick. When it is not starting, I check and find no fire at the plugs. Other times I walk over to the boat, hit the key and it fires on the first turn over. I have had it to the dealer and other repair facilities multiple times. They always fixed something, but the problem persists. Now, I cannot get any fire period. Anyone familiar with this problem or any tech bulletins or previous posts they can point me to would be appreciated."

sounds like a key switch or ES

sounds like a key switch or ESS emergency stop switch
clean all connections at key switch and motor included battery cables

Both were replaced and the wir

Both were replaced and the wiring was ohmed back to the connections in the engine control box

"I run a charter boat, and hav

"I run a charter boat, and have the job of doing my own maintenance. I have been stranded from corrosion while a guest on another captain's boat. It took us over an hour (40 miles offshore) to find and correct the problem. That was one of the first things I did. I was quite peeved when the marine tech changed the switch and kill switch and announced that the problem was fixed. Two hours later, it was doing the same, except this time it never fired a lick. I Removed every ground on the engine, brushed it with a wire brush on my moto tool, removed every electrical connection on the engine and inside all enclosed covers, did the same and replaced both battery cables. THe batteries are two months old (2 of them. As I said, I ohmed out the wiring harness and boxes based on the yamaha manual. I was hoping that this was a problem that had gotten some notoriety and people remembered it. I guess maybe I have had a bad wire from the stator, and it has finally totally lost contact. Guess it is time to pull the top and put the oscilliscope on it. I do appreciate your suggestions. When I get it solved, I will post what I found. In the mean time, I will have to rely on my brothers' boats, as my charter boat is too big to fish inshore."

"screw ohms, they are useless,

"screw ohms, they are useless, only help you if there is a break in the wire or short to ground

Buy a DVA from here for like $40, it plugs into your meter

do the same ohms test but u use volts instead with the dva

you want at least .7V for triggers and at least 100V or more for the coil inputs

an analog meter is better because you can see things, unlike digital it jumps around

email me your readings and colors you used to get it and i will help you diagnosis 2x as quick as most techs"

JIT are you still looking for

JIT are you still looking for a job in the marine field??? You seem very knowledgeable and would be an asset to any shop.

"Thanks I will get with you on

"Thanks I will get with you on that. I am going off for a few weeks, I will get a DVA when I get back.You said they were available on this site??"

Back