Logo

Just installed RH starter on 350 now wonbt turn over

J

Jim Lowry

"Hello all

I just installed

"Hello all

I just installed a RH starter on one of my 350's it sounds like the rod is kicking out, but it will not turn the fly wheel. All I get is a thunk. Suggestions PLEASE!"

"Why did you replace the old o

"Why did you replace the old one? Before proceeding, confirm that the motor turns over by manually."

"Yes, engine turned over fine.

"Yes, engine turned over fine... why did I replace it... it did not "feel" like there may have been to much noise and when I took it off and had it tested, NAPa ALSO SAID IT WAS NOSIE.

Someone said something about checking the top cylinder ???

I thought it was just like a Perkins or a car.. Pull the old one off install the new one.

Is there something else?"

"No, there's nothing else,

"No, there's nothing else, provided you have the correct starter, it is mounted correctly and the wiring is correct and tight.

If you can confirm all this, pull it back off, Bench test if for proper operation. If it appears to be working properly, take it back to NAPA and compare it with the old one. If this is a top mount starter, it's pretty hard to screw it up, but I've seen some of the people working at NAPA."

"I just put the old one back o

"I just put the old one back on, and instead of engaging and turning the flywheel as it did before I changed it out... it to appears to only send the plunger out and all you hear is one thump.

I have never ran into this before... it has always been just remove and replace..

Do you know what the mech. meant when he said to check the top cylinder ??? and which one could he have mean??? I'd ash him but there is a slight language problem."

"Sounds like you may have mixe

"Sounds like you may have mixed up the wiring. It sounds like the solenoid is engaging the bendix, but not the armature. As per previous post: Bench test it. Use a pair of jumper cables and a starter button or jumper wire. Make sure that when you power up the "S" terminal(post for yellow/red wire), both the bendix and armature engage. This means the gear both spins and engages."

"With the starter still instal

"With the starter still installed, I turned the swith on, buzzer sounder. Press start button and moved the shifter in and out of neutral. Starter would (as suppose to) only work while in neutral.

Next, checked wiring conections... all correct and tight.

I then turned the swicth on, buzzer sounding and used the old fashion screwdriver across the starter terminals... still got the same thump.

Seeing as how NAPA would not take back the NEW starter, I will jumper it shortly and see what happens..

Could the mech. have thought there might be a vac. lock? Maybe I should pull the plugs? This is weird, unless there is a shorted wire somewhere.

But I would think if the plunger worked, the thing should turn the wheel."

is it possible your original s

is it possible your original starter had shims to allow correct engagement to flywheel and they fell off when you removed the starter. just a thought. good luck: rodney.

"[b]"Could the mech. have

""Could the mech. have thought there might be a vac. lock? Maybe I should pull the plugs? This is weird, unless there is a shorted wire somewhere."

Ayuh,....
Have you actually Confirmed with a wrench that the motor will Rotate atleast a full turn or 2,..??..??

I think your mechanic suspects Hydro-lock,.....
Pull the Plugs,+ See if you have Water in the Top of the Cylinders......."

"More interesting...

I conn

"More interesting...

I connected the jumpers from the bat. to ground and to the starter. shows 13v connected the remote starter to the starter and nothing... like it is dead.

NAPA took the NEW starter in the back to test it, came out and said it was fine...

Ok then why won'tit start either by the remote starter swtich or even a screwdriver across the terminals.

Not having a real good day."

"I think I might know the prob

"I think I might know the problem... pulled the plugs, except being 20 years old, everything was fine.

Then I remembered.. there are several wires coming to the starter... but wait, there is only one, upon closer look, someone has taken the 3 wires and spliced them together with a connector and reg. electical tape.

So tomorrow I will be putting them back seperately... I have a feeling under the electrical tape I'll fine the problem."

Does anyone know... which wir

Does anyone know... which wire (color) "turns" the Armature?

"Jim, since all you did was re

"Jim, since all you did was remove & replace; how can wiring be a problem? I would remove all 8 plugs & hook up starter as before & see if engine will turn over. I'm betting piston coming up on compression at top of cylinder is hydro locked. Since NAPA said starter checked out fine it should turn engine over w/o load."

"Jim, you don't have three

"Jim, you don't have three wires going to the starter all connected together. You may have three wires wired together leaving the battery connector on the starter but they are not feeding the starter. These wires are for other system (alt. - main harness +, mercathode, etc.)and are completely irrelevant if you are jumping the starter directly since you are bypassing them.

The wire feeding the armature is either a heavy 6 ga, wire or a solid copper lug, depending on the starter. Either way it will be short and will come out of the armature housing and run to the large load side terminal on the solenoid (not the terminal the battery connects to, the other large one).

You obviously still have not bench tested this starter as I previously suggested. The purpose of this test is not to confirm that the starter works, I know it works. The purpose was to teach you what terminals did what and allow you to understand how it worked. I knew that once you understood the principal you would be able to troubleshoot it without any problems.

I apologize if I sound condensending, but if you don't understand the basics of electrical wiring and troubleshooting you should really consider having a professional perform this type of repair in the future. It is very ease to do something wrong here and put yourself and your passengers in danger."

"Yes I have tested... these a

"Yes I have tested... these as well as many others. I love holding it down with my foot when they work :cool:

I have not statered today... but I think I will go ahead and pull ALL the plugs and check for the hydro locked.

And no need to apologize. I've rebuilt many a small block and changed many a starter. But I've never ran into this as it has always been a remove and replace, even on my old Perkins.

We will see what the day brings."

"oh, and just a funny FYI.

"oh, and just a funny FYI.

I've had several mech.on board (friends) who wanted to just look at the twins. When they saw the wiring job someone had jury rigged together their feeling were the same as mine.

Slowly one day at a time, wires will be pulled and replace. I last had to re-wire a 46 Morgan. But I like that much better than having to pull a head off. :cool:

It took me 4 days to check the wires on this boat and although connector were crimped (not shrinked) tight. I am not one to trust 5 wires spliced into 1

Why do temporary repairs always become permanent? :cool:"

"Oh, and I sorry guys..

whe

"Oh, and I sorry guys..

when I said 5 wires into 1, I meant 1 wire had been spliced at 5 different location creating 1 wire, end to end. I just don't buy doing it that way."

"Understood... Sadly, I see a

"Understood... Sadly, I see a lot of this, sadder yet, I have seen a lot of this done by "professional" mechanics."

"Well I pulled all the plugs.

"Well I pulled all the plugs. No Hydo lock.

Still won't turn, the plunger only extends
and thats it.

I have my mech driving down (50 miles) this coming Wed.

But hey, at least I got a good look at the plugs and they show the engine is good... well at least it was until I changed the starter.

I've worked on engine and 12v systems for the past 20+ years and I've just never ran into this problem before.

I mean I used remote starter switch and even just shorted it with old fashion screwdriver.

Just a spark (screwdriver) nd the plunger extending...

Unless you all have something else, I guess I have out something on Wed."

"What did the problem turn out

"What did the problem turn out to be? I am having a similar problem although it is intermittent. Let me know.

Thanks,

Brian"

Back