Logo

AB Penta Outboard

excossack

"Hi all.
Ive been given a AB

"Hi all.
Ive been given a AB Penta outboard. Its a single cylinder, 2stroke with built in fuel tank. On the transom mount there is a metal tag with the following info.
AB Penta Utombord Smotoroy AB Archimedes Uppsala Sweden
Serial number 0405495

Does anyone have any info on this engine?. diagrams, service info etc.
So far its a non runner, but has compression and the prop turns while pulling the pull cord.

Any info greatly accepted.

Thanks
John
UK"

"John, by chance do you know t

"John, by chance do you know the model number (or can find it).

Penta outboards have a convoluted past which started in the early 1900's with the (company) being bought and sold numerous times (twice owned by volvo). I have limited information on them but a model would certainly help.

From what I do have, the only single cylinder I have a listing for would be a 70cc model built between 1972-75 by the Nymans Verkstader company who had bought both the Penta and Archimedes companies in 1965.

In 73 Volvo bought the rights (back) but Nymans Verkstader continued to manufacture the motors for a few more years.

Later Penta models were also built by Volvo and Honda until about 1978 when the line was possibly discontinued (no further info post-78)"

"Hi, Graham thanks for the rep

"Hi, Graham thanks for the reply. I shall have a good look for the model numbers. Ive seen a few on the engine casing so i shall report back on them. Does this engine have a model name? Does the colour blue, with a dark cream/yellow engine casing help?"

"John, I know next to nothing

"John, I know next to nothing about these models - just have a bit of info collected over the years.

From what I have, they don't appear to have model "names", but over the years were also marketed with names such as Crescent, Monark and NV Marin.

The model numbers appear as model 70F, 250 etc (either 2 or 3 numbers - sometimes followed by a letter).."

Hi Graham
Right from what i c

Hi Graham
Right from what i can see ive got the following info
On the Engine housing
[N] 3134-1253 00
3134 161011
Pull start housing
3134 39 02 00
On the flywheel
E75 (or F75) 107
On the leg? the part from the engine the prop
2853 3091-6
28531 02200
2853 3038 30(inside a circle)

Does that help?

"John, have some half/half res

"John, have some half/half results for you. Your motor does appear to be a mid 1970's model. It can possibly be pinpointed exactly through the serial number, but I don't have it broken down by serial to an exact year.

Your motor is a model 3.9 (sometimes just called a model "39") which is a 3.9 horse, 70 cc motor.

There were 5 differnt "type" numbers in the series. 031/032/033 were built in 1972-75, 033 in 1976 and 034 in 1977 (nfi).

I noted you are in the U.K. There is a dealer that has a number of parts in stock for that particular model and could possibly give you a little more detail or insight.

Here's the address -

Seacat Marine
Unit C1, The Airfield
St Merryn, Cornwall, PL28 8PU"

"Graham, Thanks for the reply.

"Graham, Thanks for the reply. Where do you find your info.!?
Thats great info Graham, Ive emailed many people and not one has come back to me with any info. Even emailed Penta., sweden and got no reply. Which number gave it away?
I was guessing it was a 5hp engine and pre 1970.
I shall email Seacat and see what they have to say.
Many thanks again Graham, I owe you a virtual pint or 4."

"John, I stumbled over a cross

"John, I stumbled over a cross reference to the number from the recoil starter, which led me to the model(s) that used it - from there was just a bit of searching to see if anyone had parts, which turned up Seacat amongst a couple of others...

Good luck with the motor..."

"Graham,
I spoke to Seacat to

"Graham,
I spoke to Seacat today, gave them the serial number and they are non the wiser! A comment was made it could be a 1950s engine!
Ive also gave Penta UK a call and ended up in the marketing section. Emailed the lady and shall see what happens."

"Does any one know where I mig

"Does any one know where I might get hold of an owners manual or workshop manual for an Archimedes Penta, Model:- Offshore 600, there is what I would assume is a serial number plate on the motor bracket & the number is as follows :- 340200469, any help or a point in the right direction to track down the manuals or even copies would be much appreciated, thanks, Paul (New Zealand)."

"Thankyou William,
I will try

"Thankyou William,
I will try these sources as you suggest, wish me luck, it seems there are fewer and fewer of us about,its a pity because I have found them to be very reliable engines, thanks again, regards Paul."

"Hi Paul,can you tell me if yo

"Hi Paul,can you tell me if your engine is a 60hp,as i have a 450 which is a 45hp,i think you will find the 35hp through to 55hp at least,take the same parts,i have a manual for the 400 which i use on mine.If you have no luck at the sites i have suggested,i could give you info from my manual,if that is any good to you.
Kind regards,
aberdeennut....."

"Söker info om en utombordare

"Söker info om en utombordare som hette Archimedes Penta 550X(SX)(Crescent Tornado?) och var en fabriks trimmad 55 Hkr från början av 70-talet.Har lite funderingar om att börja tävla i klassiker tävlingar.
Söker allt som har med denna motor att göra ,bilder,dokument,delar,e v hel motor.
M.v.h Tommy

Svar till Hans1:
Pratade med din bekante,och han hade väl en del info att komma med.

Dessa trimmade motorer(550X,550Sport) hade alu-trattar på förgasarna istället för plastburk.
Vissa modeller skall enligt honom enbart ha varit 'dekal'-trimmade dvs. standard AP 550 som man målade upp med beteckningar som 550SX,Crescent Tornado,mfl.
Så dom modeller som var fabrikstrimmade var alltså 550X samt 550 Sport och tittar man i service-manualerna för dessa modeller så anges effekten till 55hk+ istälet för 55 hk på standard modellerna.

En annan kul grej han nämnde var att prins Sigvard Bernadotte designade motor-kåpan till Archimedes/Crescent/Monark-Penta 1969-1974.Det ska tydligen vara den kåpan som har en liten 'knix' eller trappsteg på sidan.
Hi Paul this is a sample of the Swedish site.
Lots of info if you understand the lingo...
Cheers
aberdeennut"

Back