Logo

Sea Foam

wrench

Regular Contributor
"This is a question sort of di

"This is a question sort of directed to Guy G., but I'll take ideas from other users of the stuff.
You have answered a few posts with "I use Sea Foam..." Most recently you responded to someone who was asking about gas octanes. You said that you use Sea Foam twiice a year to clean out your carbs. I have always just use fuel injector cleaner in everything that I own... lawnmmower, rider, weed trimmer, ATV, chainsaw, and boat(once or twice a year).....Is the Sea Foam that you talk of specifically meant for fuel systems or is there different kinds? I only just recently saw some at an auto parts jobber up here (southern Ontario) and he said that he just started getting it up from the States. He said that he has heard good things about it, but hasn't sold much yet. Is it better than regular fuel cleaners?

Thanks and Happy New Year from snow covered Ontario

Wrench"

"wrench:

I use SEA FOAM lik

"wrench:

I use SEA FOAM like you do FI cleaner. I put an ounce in a gallon of small engine fuel a few times annually. I also use it in my vehicles twice a year. I have noticed that it hasn't fouled my spark plugs.

The directions on the container claims it will do everything necessary to keep fuel preserved in a fresh state, dissolve gum and varnish in fuel systems and remove carbon from the combustion chamber. In the crankcase it claims to free up sticking valves and lifters by disolving gum and varnish. It is a viscous petroleum product that has worked well for me.

SEA FOAM now comes in a spray can for use like spray carb cleaners. The only difference that I have noticed between the two products is the viscosity. SF clings to dirty parts as it disolves unwanted grime. I like this attribute for O/night cleaning.

I recently rebuilt the carb on my snow blower since it would not run. I noticed a buildup of brown crud on the piston and ring. I sprayed a liberal amount on the piston and cylinder wall and let it soak O/nite. The next morning the crud was gone. The 1996 S/blower starts on the second pull.

I also use it to clean PCV valves at each oil change and to clean the crud out of throttle bodies and idle air motor passages when needed.

Both products are $6/can but worth it to me since they do the work of several products."

"Thanks Guy
I recently bought

"Thanks Guy
I recently bought a bottle of Lucas Upper Cyl. Lube to try out. It claims to do a lot of the things that you are saying about the sea foam. Its a very lite weight oil type of product that they say to put in your fuel, to take care of your carbs, injectors, plugs, sticky valves, combustion chambers, piston tops, rings, and whatever else ails ya. Thats a pretty tall order for only a couple of oz.(about 3oz./10 gallons gas) in a tank full. They don't specify if winter use is OK, but I've put it in the van a couple of times and haven't had any problems yet (also haven't seen any positives yet either, from claims of better gas milage). Oh well... it was worth a $9 experiment.
Maybe I'll try some Sea Foam and see what it does. I'm not big on throwing piles of different things down the old fuel filler neck as it just adds to the already high cost of play, but if somthing truely increased gas milage, I'd be interested.

Wrench"

"wrench:

You're welcome

"wrench:

You're welcome. I have heard of Lucas and Marvel Mystery Oils but never tried them because it just seemed to be an overpriced 5 wt. oil. Sea Foam works quite well on slightly dirty carb, injs., valves and lifters. Can't claim any mileage increase. Also does great on small engines.

On my trucks and boat I use 1/2 pint in the oil and the other half in 10 gals. of gas. Cures a rough idle from old or bad gas."

"Sea Foam is great stuff!
It

"Sea Foam is great stuff!
It did wonders for eliminating injector knock in my son's 2.5L jeep engine. At first we thought it was a loose rod cap or broken valve spring, it was knocking so bad. One can of sea foam and she's running like a Swiss watch."

"where can i get some of the w

"where can i get some of the wonder foam sounds like great stuff
"

Most marine and autoparts stor

Most marine and autoparts stores carry it. Google the name and look for vendors by zip code.

Back