Logo

3lt Mercruiser engine noise

toncar

"Hi All, First time in the dis

"Hi All, First time in the discussion. I have just purchased a new 2007 Bayliner 175BR from the USA and imported into Australia. The question is that when the engine (3lt Mercruiser) has warmed up I am getting a ticking noise through the air intake at low RPM. The engine has done 4 hours and has done this from new start up. Has any one experienced this and is this normal for a new mrecruiser engine, Or may be a lifter or sticky valve. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony"

"[b]"The engine has done 4

""The engine has done 4 hours"

Ayuh,.......

If you still think there's an Issue at the post break-in check up at 20hrs,......

Diagnose it Then.........It's Too New now....."

"Hi Tony
Welcome aboard, Bon

"Hi Tony
Welcome aboard, Bondo is spot on, may just be a ticky lifter or such. You are aware of it, so just monitor it till you get a few more hours on the clock before you worry about getting the spanners out.

Cheers
Peter C

PS: on another note, I wouldn,t mind knowing a bit more about what hoops you had to jump through and how you went about importing your boat.
If you have the time drop us a line sometime."

"Hi Bondo / Peter C,

Thank

"Hi Bondo / Peter C,

Thanks for the advice the noise sounds like a typical exhaust manifold gasket leaking when going along but I will tension all the bolts around the manfolds, but the noise sounds if it is ticking out out of the intake spark arrester. Thanks will let you know how I go.

PS. Peter, was not a lot of drama importing the boat, first I looked for a second-hand boat but the exchange rate was very favourable so I contacted the Bayliner dealer in Texas and purchased new, very well price compared with what is in Australia. Why Texas, this was were the importer I was using was loading containers, the main expense was the cost of freight, handling charges,and Australian Government Charges which related back to about a half the purchase price of the boat. All this thrown in the boat landed was still a fair bit cheaper than what I could buy in Australia.

But the down side, 10 to 12 weeks wait after paying for the boat, had to put brakes on the trailer and change the axle (Australian requiement), risk of damage through transit (insurance was impossible to organise), but all turned out well except for now this noise in the engine and not sure about warranty in Australia, only early days yet. I hope this answers your questions and if you would like more info please let me know. Thanks again Tony"

"Hi Tony,
I wouldn't worr

"Hi Tony,
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. I don't know that that engine has any history in Australia, but over here that engine has a reputation for valvetrain noise. Cars equipped with the 2.5L version of that same engine are easy to identify! Obviously, I am not there to listen to it, but be aware that funky noises are a characteristic of that engine.

Dan"

"Thanks Dan,

Will keep usin

"Thanks Dan,

Will keep using until 20 hours and may try some oil additive at that stage."

"anthony, check with the local

"anthony, check with the local dealer if the warranty is valid where you live. many manufactures warranties are specific to country of origin/inception. example bayliner of usa, bayliner canada etc. good luck: rodney."

I had this same problem on my

I had this same problem on my 07 175. It never went away. I replaced all the lifters and adjusted the valves with no improvement. It eventualy started huffing threw the breather at a idle and ticking at above idle. The top end performance was never bad. I had the engine replaced under waranty by my local dealer. The explination I got was a bad wrist pin. I dont think so. I think it was a sticking intake valve. The new engine has about 4 hours on it before winter set in. It sounds good for now.

The next problem I am trying to figure out is the engine looses all power in hard right turns. It is carborator related. I am just trying to determine if this is normal for the 3.0L.

"Hi Steve,(River_runner&#4

"Hi Steve,(River_runner)

Sorry for the delay but you had a question about a problem with hard right hand turns and yes the problem is in the carby and they have an update gasket to rectify this problem. If you need further information let me know as my local Australia dealer gave me a print out of the part # and the differences in the Gasket. If you need I will email.

Regards Toncar"

"Yes please send what ever inf

"Yes please send what ever information you have. I have talked to Mercruiser and they say this is the first they have herd of this. You know how that works. Sometimes you call and get someone that wants to help and knows engines and sometimes you get nothing. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Steve
[email protected]"

"Hi Steve (river-runner&#4

"Hi Steve (river-runner),

The problem as stated is with the carby bowl gasket and the new part# is 27-890506 and I have sent to the email address above all the relevent information as the attachment is to big to post. Good luck

Regards Toncar"

Back