Logo

Coil overheating on 454 crusader

Anybody have this issue with C

Anybody have this issue with Coil getting hot and killing the engine. Coil replaced once and resistor twice??? I understand that the dwell was set at 15 degrees instead of 30. My challenge is Starboard engine has none of these problems and was set the same??? Mechanic believes resetting the dwell has solved all my problems. Thoughts anybody?

Model 350 but size is 454. I

Model 350 but size is 454. I will confirm that with the Crusader distributer...but yes I believe I have the right one. Strange huh?

Are you using a 12v or 6v coil

Are you using a 12v or 6v coil. You may have a problem with your ballast resistor our in some cases the wire to the coil isw a resistance wire that may have been replaced with regular wire thus feeding too much voltage to the coil. I don't think a mall adjusted dwell will make a coil over heat. You would see a rough running engine before that would happen.

"Thanks Joe. The coil is 12v.

"Thanks Joe. The coil is 12v. However in the Crusader manual it states the coil output should be between 10.5 & 11v yet I am putting out 12.1v.(could this be it?) Funny thing...the starboard engine fell off just like the Port did yesterday. I got to have something else electrical going on??? When I get back to the dock. Starboard engine starts right up and runs 30 min...no problem. I am stumped. All gauges read normal (oil press, volts, temp) at both upper and lower station both engines. 34 Tollycraft. Although boat is an 86 everything on is new (charger, islolator, coils, batteries,)"

"Richard:

Either run a 12 v

"Richard:

Either run a 12 volt coil without any resistor, or use a resistor coil (about 10 volts) with a balast resistor. Sounds like you are by-passing the resistor somehow. Confusing!

Jeff"

Back