Logo

Late 60bs model Johnson Outboard Starting Problem

bparkhurst

"I have a late 60's model

"I have a late 60's model 60HP Johnson that will not start. It was starting fine for the first couple of months that I had it while I was putting a new floor in the boat. I took it to the lake one day and it wouldn't start (I did start it before I left the house that day so I wouldn't have that problem and it started fine). It is getting spark and I just put a brand new starter on. When I turn the key, I can hear the solenoid clicking loudly (the arm on the starter won't even come up to turn the flywheel). Would the solenoid be causing all of this, or do I have a more serious problem on my hands? Any information that anybody has would be appreciated. Thanks."

Check your battery connections

Check your battery connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Have your battery load tested at your local auto parts store. While you have the battery cables off look for any signs of corrosion around the base of the lugs. They can corrode inside where you can see it.

Would a loose battery connecti

Would a loose battery connection or corroded connections be the case if all of the running lights still work?

"The running lights are usuall

"The running lights are usually not interconnected to the motor. Check the battery cable ends that run to the starter solenoid, starter, ignition switch and all other places for corrosion. sometimes tha cables have corrosion under the insulation. You will see a void or bulge when this happens."

"The battery cables were the p

"The battery cables were the problem! I took a set of jumper cables and touched them to the starter, and the starter took off like a gem (plus last weekend I was tinkering with it and the negative cable on the boat started to smoke)! So thanks to all of you that replied, I appreciate it!"

Back