Logo

Johnson 95 wonbt run with choke off

12_jonboat

"Hello,

I just bought 69 Jo

"Hello,

I just bought 69 Johnson outboard and had it worked on. Carb kit put on and cleaned. New plugs,wires,points and condenser put on. I was told that it ran great where it was worked on.
I have a brand new gas hose and bulb. The problem is
when I try starting it. It will start in two to three pulls with choke on but as soon as I push the choke in...a moment or two later the engine will die. The gas is a few months old with fuel stabilizer.
Could the gas be bad or possibly the fuel pump bad. Also what exactly does the choke do?
}"

"Kevin.... The choke restricts

"Kevin.... The choke restricts the air flow, causing the fuel to air ratio to be greater than normal. Bottom line is that more gas enters the engine.

Your problem is that (most likely) the fixed brass high speed jet has not been cleaned properly and is somewhat clogged. This jet would be in the bottom portion of the float chamber, in back of that 7/16" hex screw that you'll see at the front of the float chamber.

It's also possible that if that ject is clean, that the carburetot is simply out of adjustment. See the following.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks Joe, I will give that

"Thanks Joe, I will give that a try when the weather permits. I hope it's just the slow speed adjuster, in which case is on the front marked R L ? I'm missing the knob.By the way, do you sell the main spring starter pulley? Mine broke so I used a high speed drill to wind the cord up. Kind of a pain."

"Kevin.... You asked "do y

"Kevin.... You asked "do you sell the main spring starter pulley?"

That's somewhat confusing. Explain what broke, exactly what you need in some kind of detail."

"There is a large spring in th

"There is a large spring in the shaft of the starter pulley, it's double coiled. The inner coil end points inside which slides into a crescent stem that the pinion gear and rope guide is attached.That piece broke off. I hope that explains it."

"Yeah I'd go with a blocke

"Yeah I'd go with a blocked jet as well, maybe something loosened up by the cleaning, I'd have a look at the main jet."

"Thanks Joe and Andrew. The we

"Thanks Joe and Andrew. The weather hasn't been very good here lately. Weather permitting, I'm going to try and adjust the carb tomorrow. If that fails then I'll try and blow out the main jet."

Back