Logo

Mercury 115 inline 6 1978 lower unit drive shaft

mixer

i broke my drive shaft on my l

i broke my drive shaft on my lower unit whould it be better to replace the d shaft or get a new reman- unit

if it is better to get a reman

if it is better to get a reman- what years whould fit the i got now is 8 spline and about 21 inches or some thing ? just to see what i could do i brought the unit to work and tried to weld the shaft. but not straight enought!

"Rich,

Replacing the drive

"Rich,

Replacing the driveshaft could be a tough job on a lower unit that old. You won't know until you try to remove the bearing carrier, but I would try that first. If you can get it off without damaging anything, you might as well try replacing the driveshaft.

If you need to replace the lower unit, try www.obrparts.com and see if they have units available, and whether or not there is a core charge. Core value is determined by the condition of the driveshaft, casing and prop shaft. You could also find a new driveshaft there.

Tony"

"thanks ,the unit was just rep

"thanks ,the unit was just replace with a rebuilt 2years ago i got about 50 or less hours on it so the seals are good . is there a place i can find a diagram and specs?"

"Rich, Replacing the drivesha

"Rich, Replacing the driveshaftis more than a nuts and bolts job. There are shimming requirements for the gears. A Mercury Service manual will detail the procedure.

A used LU for that motor is likely widely available (e-Bay) for $3-500

I actually have a good lower unit off my '77 Merc 1500, that is the same as yours. if you are interested, I am in southern/central NJ"

Back