Logo

165 hp Mercruiser 250 ci inline 6 in a truck

mercpoweredc10

"I've searched a bit and f

"I've searched a bit and found many threads devoted to putting a Chevy truck engine in a boat, but I did the opposite. I recently purchased a 67 Chevy C10 smoker after the owner offered to throw in a good engine. Turned out to be a Mercruiser 165 hp 250 ci inline 6. It of course required some mods using the trucks original manifold etc including the distributor which provides for vacuum advance. It runs great, started on the first try w/o a wisp of smoke. However I didn't get a chance to drive it much before it was put away for the winter. I've read these Merc engines have HD bearings and a cam ground for high RPMs. I'm curious if anyone can guess how this engine will perform in a truck? I'm also curious about the compression ratio? Thanks for your observations and expertise, Jeff"

"Ayuh,......

I think you&#3

"Ayuh,......

I think you've heard Wrong,....

Generally speaking, Marine motors are Cammed for Power down Low,....
Your motor is cammed to run Idle to 4200/4300rpms......
The rest of the motor is typical Chevy Truck components......

With the Exception of the Block, which has an extra Ear on the right front corner for the Marine front motor mount to bolt to......."

"That engine, automotive versi

"That engine, automotive version, was used first brought out 1962 Chevy II, and was used in many models of GM cars and full size trucks and vans into the mid-1980s. There was also a larger version 292 cu in that was used in Chevy trucks. Some had engines that had intake manifolds molded in one piece into the cylinder head."

"Thanks for your responces. It

"Thanks for your responces. It is a bit of a relief to find I had heard wrong. Power down low may make it optimal for use in a truck. It seems a bit gas starved at higher RPMs but the carb may just need rebuilt or re-jetted. Actually there are some other differences including bronze freeze plugs and I'm told stainless valves suitable for use with unleaded (I hope).
Not that it is of any interest but with regards to the Chevy 2 of which I've owned several, they were introduced in 62 with your choice of a 192 ci 6 cyl or a 153 ci 4 cyl. The 230 was introduced in 1963 for larger cars and light trucks but the 250 ci was not available until 1966. In 1975 they went to the integral manifold design. Thanks again, Jeff
PS The truck seller has another one of these which I'm thinking I should purchase to drop into the 62 Nova SS Conv project I gave my son."

"Dad: <[img]"http://www.marin

"Dad:
stop.gif

I know you mean well, but give the Nova SS an arse kickin' 327. Give grandma the new 6 cyl. Trust me! You'll want to drive the chick magnet too; with momma, of course.
sun.gif
"

"I'm afraid as an antique

"I'm afraid as an antique collector I'm more inclined toward restoration. A V8 would require extensive mods and perhaps even a frame to prevent these 62-63 Nova/Chevy2 convertables from folding in half. On the other hand a 250 ci in these is hard to detect and have impressive acceleration. They were originally provided with 192s and a 250 will throw you back in your seat.
Besides saying 6 cylinder on the side, I must also consider potential knots per hour. A five speed T-5 OD trans out of a Camaro, maybe."

"'ell,...... Ya might as w

"'ell,...... Ya might as well Stuff a 292 in there,.................
wink.gif
"

"I had a 1981 Chevy pickup wit

"I had a 1981 Chevy pickup with a 250 6cyl in it. Interesting thing about it was that the stock exaust manifold had 2 outlets. A "Y" at the connecting end of the exaust pipe brought it back to a single exaust pipe. I thought about tricking out the exaust system into a dual exaust but never got around to it. Sold it to a kid who wanted to build it into a low-rider. The original engine had almost 300,000 miles with untouched original lower end (oilpan untouched). When I sold it it ran like new and passed a stringent California smog test."

i have a 70 model glastron boa

i have a 70 model glastron boat that has a inline 165hp mer that i bought and the owner failed to winterize it and the block has a crack anyhow i found a chevy inline 6 that came out of a car what all do you have to do to make it work do i need to charnge the cam and liters. the other parts off the org motor are good head water pump ect someone tell what all i need to do

Take everything off the replac

Take everything off the replacement that doesn't match the boat engine and replace it with the boat engine parts. If you need more instructions than this you should get someone else to do it. Not trying to be rude but that's the story.

thank you for the reply just o

thank you for the reply just one ? what is the best thing to do about the motor block haveing one pig ear is there something you can buy or just have to get someone to make some kindda bracket

I'd say look at the blocks

I'd say look at the blocks and see what the difference is in that area. Maybe easy maybe not worth the trouble. Only you can decide.

Back