Logo

Using a toggle switch as an ignition

M

mikeb871403

Does anybody have any thoughts

Does anybody have any thoughts about this idea?

"Depending on the complexity o

"Depending on the complexity of the system, it could be very easy. You would'nt have a key for safty. Somebody could jump in and go for a ride. A toggle switch to act as an on/off switch, and a momentary push button switch for the starter. Sure it would work. I supose you could hide a kill switch somewhere so only you would know how to start it. I seen a set up on a dune buggy that had a series of four toggle switches to make a sort of combination in order to work.(first two down, third one up, and the last down)
Enough to fool a kid going for a joy ride."

What i did on my boat is to hi

What i did on my boat is to hide the "ign on" switch under the dash and used a push button for the power to the starter. A thief could crank it but not start it.

"My Neighbor's 2006 27&#39

"My Neighbor's 2006 27' Whaler has toggle switches for ignition and pushbuttons for starting the twin Merc 235HP motors. There are key switches in series with the dashboard togle switches, in his cenrter console, out of the weather."

"Since your ignition system is

"Since your ignition system is a magneto style, you would need a power switch to power up the electrical circuit, a momentary choke/primer switch and a magneto interrupt to shut the engine off. What it the problem with using the multi-purpose ignition switch that was designed for the system?"

Back