Logo

Electrolysis

chrissvv

Hi

I have a plate aluminiu

Hi

I have a plate aluminium dinghy that has some electrolysis damage in the front end. I have removed all the wiring and replaced to ensure that there is no problems there. I have earthed all electrics straight to the battery. Is the an easy way for me to measure if I have any stray currents or possible causes. I have heard that you can you a volt meter set on ohm's??
Any info would be great

Cheers Chris

"Chris,

Does the boat sit i

"Chris,

Does the boat sit in the water? If so, are there other boats around it? The problem may be with somebody else's boat.

There is a way to test what you are looking for however I do not know the procedure.

You can try putting anodes on. I have a Marinette (32) and it has anodes on the trim tabs, shafts, rudders and along the keel (9' on each side)

Rob"

"Hey Chris...
I'm not sur

"Hey Chris...
I'm not sure how you would go about using an ohm meter to test it, but...
A dirty damp battery will discharge voltage across the dirt from neg to the pos post. If you were to use your volt meter on volt function, and clip onto the neg post and then probe the metal of the boat with the pos lead, (using a digital meter), you may possibly find a reading. If all of your wires go only to the posts of you batt., I can't imagine that you would be getting a reading unless the batt. is extremely dirty. Even at that, it seems pretty far fetched, but stranger things happen. Be careful using your meter set to ohm function when probing for power as you can easily fry that meter.
There are no other types (metal) of fasteners holding lights or equipment onto the boat?
Firemedic has a point about putting anodes on it. Pick some up and put them on. Can one be installed close to the area that is showing the problem?

Wrench"

"A 32 Marinette, eh? (Che

"A 32 Marinette, eh? (Check out mine.)

Suggest you add a block of magnesium to our boat, at the transom (and below the water line). THat will solve the problem instantly.

Jeff"

Back