Logo

NADA Accurate

sparky344

"I'm looking at a few opti

"I'm looking at a few options in 18' Bowriders:

(1) 2000 VIP 18' Bowrider, 135HP I/O
Dealer says: $9500 best price
NADA says: $8295

(2) 2001 Mariah 18' Bowrider, 190HP I/O (not positive on HP)
- less than 100 hours, meticulously maintained
Private sale: $8500
NADA Says: $10,115

Will have either surveyed before proceeding if the prices seems fair.

I know NADA with motorcycles is often way off, how about boats? Any thoughts/comments?

Do these prices seem inline? Good boats/stay away? What questions should I get answered before proceeding in either direction?

Thanks for your help.

- Casey"

"Do a few searches online for

"Do a few searches online for similar boats for sale to give you an idea of what the market is like. www.boatraderonline.com is a good one, has lots of boats listed. BoatUS has a boat value querry too.
The condition of the boat and how well it was maintained are your the key factors I'd be looking for."

"Used boat values are not an e

"Used boat values are not an exact science. Value is VERY dependent on condition optional equipment, and even time of year. Many owners are willing to part with their boat for less cash in the fall, when they know they are facing a long cold winter with storage, maintenance and re-fitting expenses before they get back in the water. By the same token, spring sellers often demand a premium.

http://www.bucvalu.com/ has another database of boat values that consumers can access on a limited basis without a subscription. You need to register for free limited access to the database.

Bucvalue lists a 2000 18'-4" VIP, open rounabout with a 135 Hp mercruiser at $8,950-10,200. The adjustment factor based on condition is +15 to 20% for excellent, to minus 25 to 50% for poor condition.

The average retail for a 2001 Mariah, Diablo 180 bow rider with a 135 hp mercruiser Retail Price Range: is $12,100-$13,700.

Good Luck,
Chuck"

"Thanks for your input gentlem

"Thanks for your input gentlemen.

I'm leaning towards the 2001 Mariah, only reluctant to jump on it since this seems to be the year the company went out of business.

Confirmed engine info with seller, 3.0L 135hp Merc. Owner claims approx. 58 top speed, 40-42 cruising. I've only had 470's so needless to say things can only get better right? :cool:

(1) Has anyone had experience with Mariah boats?

(2) Any quirks with the 3.0/135 engines?

- Casey"

"Mariah's are beautiful bo

"Mariah's are beautiful boats, with a large amount of detail and craftsmanship put into them.

The 3.0L engine is a good engine. well built and long lasting if not neglected. but i dont see that engine pushing the mariah at 58mph top speed.

If i were you, i'd lean towards the mariah as well if it's in good shape.(but i haven't seen either of them)."

"We drove 2hrs and looked at t

"We drove 2hrs and looked at the 2001 Mariah last weekend. Looks like a great boat. Price may be negotiable down to $7500-8000 which, if accurate is well under NADA and Bucvalu.com.

I have reservations about the size/power, wondering if I'll be happy with it for at least a season or two. We'd like the ability to bring another couple with us when we go out, possibly two ... the layout seemed small compared to the 19' Sunbird we had last season.

I'm justifying this in my head by telling myself how the 135hp will be less of a fuel hog, and we don't really need to have 6 adults on the boat etc etc.

Anything you guys think I should be asking myself before proceeding?

Here are some pictures of the boat:

16206.jpg

16207.jpg

16208.jpg

16209.jpg
"

"Chuck ... I won't make th

"Chuck ... I won't make this a habbit, would just like to compare NADA and Bucvalu one more time.

I found a 1994 Sea Ray 200 Signature Boat with a 200HP Mercruiser on it. Can you give me the Bucvalu on it ... NADA says Low Retail: $6880 High Retail: $8290.

A customer of ours (we build docks) is upgrading this weekend at our local boat show and is willing to sell it to me for whatever the dealers offer him as a trade-in value.

Also if any of you have any comments/comparison of this boat to the Mariah.

Here's is the info I received about this one:
"It has a 200 HP Mercruiser IO engine, 20 ft long, no trailer, relatively low hours. I've loved the boat, and the only thing wrong with it are some scratches and fading of the gelcoat."

Here's a pic of that boat:

16221.jpg
"

Back