Logo

18 Hp Merc What does XD stand for

rvbilly

"Hi everybody, has anyone had

"Hi everybody, has anyone had a XD Merc outboard? I know it stands for Extra Duty but in what sence, is it the motor, lower gear case, I don`t know? And was wondering if I can bolt a 20 hp carb on mine, will it swap right over? My serial # is A702665 thanks Bill."

"the gearcase itself is very s

"the gearcase itself is very strong as in thick material.The bearings well some (and replacement parts) are bushings, so you be the judge on the XD part."

"The carb might not add much h

"The carb might not add much hp. and could be a bear to install: fuel connections, choke, etc.

Jeff"

"Why not find a 25hp carbureto

"Why not find a 25hp carburetor, an easy bolt on."

"Hi Ssparky> where could I

"Hi Ssparky> where could I find the venturi size and jets used in the 18-20-25 hp carbs? I tryed Mercury Marine but no luck, I`ve heard the 25 hp engines are gas pigs,you know anything about that, this is why I thought the 20 hp carb would be better, it would still give me a little boost in power, I was puting the outer skin on my boat today, soon to fiberglassing it should be a fast little setup, boat will weigh 300 lbs. with motor and full tank of gas, 11 ft. long.Want to put a 14.5 inch prop on it.Bill will send picture of the paint scheem I want to use from another boat of the same plans."

"This is the painted one.<[img

"This is the painted one.
14404.jpg
"

"25 hp a gas pig????? it stand

"25 hp a gas pig????? it stands to reason , "if you want to go fast it costs money""

Back