Logo

Sport Jet 90 Rebuild or Replace

J

Jason Schaller

" I have a Sport Jet 90 that s

" I have a Sport Jet 90 that seems to be giving me some troubble. I went throught the Red Stator problem (Thanks Boat Doctor 1!) and a switch box.

It was running fine for a few weeks. On monday we were comming back to the marina when the engine just cut out. The boat was running fine for a while. The Gas Gague was suspect. So I put in my emergency 1.5 gallons of gas. It took a while but the engine started up. When I fulled up I found that there was still 5 gallons of gas in the tank.

Yesterday, we put the boat in and had a really hard time starting. The engine was idleing really rough and it seems that we have a real loss of HP.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason

Any help is always appreciated!!!! "

" Jason, you need to do compr

" Jason, you need to do compression ck first to narrow down your problem "

" I plan to get a compression

" I plan to get a compression gague on pay day. Also I noticed when I am idleing or driving slow, gas bubbles to the surface of the water. I was wondering if I have a stuck or burnt valve.

Thanks!

Jason "

" Jason, your motor is a 2 str

" Jason, your motor is a 2 stroke, they do not have conventional valves like a 4stroke or car motor. They use reed valves instead, which open by crankcase pulses, versus a cam shaft shaft and push rods. A good sign of a broken reed valve is excessive fuel spitting back out the carburetor. Don't you know anyone that you could borrow a compression gauge from? "

" Ok, That sheds some light on

" Ok, That sheds some light on the subject! I am not used to these 2 stroke motors. I did know someone who had a gauge, he was a midnight mechanic. However he moved away. Payday is tuesday and I decided just to go out and buy one. I don't believe that they are expensive. I might pick one up today.

Jason "

" Ok, I got the compression ga

" Ok, I got the compression gague. I have 115-117 top, 120-125 middle, and 120-122 bottom.

Jason "

make sure that you are gettin

make sure that you are getting spark on all of the cylinders

" OK, Found out that the boat

" OK, Found out that the boat has the wrong plugs in it. It has BUHW, It Needs BUZHW. I have some on order. I understand that the Z stands for a resistor in the plug. Does this really matter? And if so, What damage could it cause not having it?

My Thanks to all who have responded. I would not have made it this far!

Jason "

Back