Logo

2 OMC Questions

R

Rick Filiau

"Does anybody know what year O

"Does anybody know what year OMC started rating their horsepower at the prop instead of at the powerhead?
Then, I was wondering if anybody could explain OMC's version of Loop Charging which I think they introduced in the mid 70's? I had this idea that they captured the unburned fuel somehow and sent it back through the engine. I want to say that I saw this advertised in their brochures around the same time they came out with the Johnson Stinger 70 HP engine. I had access to a Johnson dealer as a youngster and I used to pick up the new brochures every year and read and reread them. Wish I still had them now!
Thanks,
Rick"

their lawn mowers were "lo

their lawn mowers were "loop charged" back in the 50's. It has to do with aiming the incoming fuel and air without using a deflector on the piston.It has absolutely nothing to do capturing unburned fuel and "sending it back thru the engine". Exhaust tuning was advertised as keeping the ecaping (to the exhaust) new fuel to a minimum.The first "loop charged" outboard was their 68 3 cylinder 55 and they sold a lot of those.

Back