Logo

Installing steering cable

I am looking at replacing the

I am looking at replacing the steering cable on my boat. Any suggestions as to the type to use and tips on making it an easier install. I have an 18 foot deep v with an 84 Evinrude 115. Thank you in advance.

"look under the steering wheel

"look under the steering wheel,and see if you have a long rack,or a round metal container,this will determine if you need the rack type or rotary.there is a 'no-feedback' system that is great,it does not allow the engine torque to affect steering.be very carefull when removing old cable due to a poss lg amount of wires tied to it.look to see if you have sufficient clearance,to pull cable out of enging,if it will hit the boat,eng must be removed to install new cable.Teleflex would be my suggestion for the cable.make SURE,inside of tilt tube,where cable goes thru eng,is clean,then extend cable to grease inner rod,push on outer rod to retract it,then grease outer rod well and install.good luck."

Tie a rope to your old cable b

Tie a rope to your old cable before you pull it out. Then untie your old cable & tie the new one to the rope. Use the rope to pull the new cable back into place. Saves lots of labor and eliminates lots of low quality time in the bilge.

Back