Logo

Question for joe

josh

Contributing Member
i have a 1979 25 josnhson tha

i have a 1979 25 josnhson that was slipping out of gear so i took the foward gear and the shifter dog to my local omc dealer and he said that they looked fine now my question is since it isnt the gear what else could it be it all startedwhen i took the power head off and had to take the shifter lever of with the spring on it and i think i lost one of the bushings is that needed whats the deal?

" Josh.... Obviously I can&#39

" Josh.... Obviously I can't actually see what you may have taken apart, or what you may have lost. However, when you put something back together, all the parts must absolutely be there. When something is left out, it is bound to affect some operation of the engine. Hopefully you can obtain a service and parts manual to give you some insight on what you need to adjust, replace, order, etc.

The dealers opinion on the gear and clutch dog puzzles me. I believe that you mentioned in a past post that you actually had to hold the shift lever in the forward position to keep it from jumping out of gear. Look closely at the forward gear lobes, and the lobes on the clutch dog that are nearest the end that has the groove around it. Those lobes should have perfectly straight right angle edges. If they are the slightest bit rounded, that will cause a jumping out of gear condition that you've described.

The only other things that would cause the engine to jump out of gear would be: The shift linkage is misadjusted, causing the dog not to be all the way into the forward gear... The clutch dog is installed backwards... or various required parts are missing. At this point, without actually seeing the engine, I'm at a loss as what to tell you.

Joe "

joe i am not looking at the s

joe i am not looking at the shifter dog now bujt i think the edges a round and it not ware that made them that way all the lobes are like that and the dog and gear sshow no sign of metal missing whatso ever they look almost brand new!

" Perhaps another tech followi

" Perhaps another tech following this problem has the answer Josh, but I can think of nothing further. Obviously something is wrong and if those items are in perfect condition, then something is not as it should be pertaining to the linkages, connections, adjustments.

Joe "

joe i found a problem that id

joe i found a problem that idont think should happen when i put the lower unit together i was looking at the prop and it was sticking out further then it used to so i pulled on it and the prop shaft pulls out about a quater of an inch i never seen this before have you?

"Josh.... It would be a good i

"Josh.... It would be a good idea for you to take a look at a parts manual for that lower unit. Hopefully you are friendly with a dealership that will allow you to do that. If that prop shaft will move 1/4", something is missing, or a wrong part has been installed. At any rate, there should be a slight bit of play to avoid friction, but that play should only be a few thousands of a inch.

Joe
"

joe i have a manual and all o

joe i have a manual and all of the original parts have been installed is the the reverse gear bushing sopposed to come out of the gear of should it stay inside the gear it comes out that i what i think the problem is what do you think?

"The bushing IS NOT a pressed

"The bushing IS NOT a pressed fit in reverse gear and is a seperate part that can be replaced. That is not the cause of your problem. If you have all the proper parts installed, the only thing I can think of it that perhaps the alignment pin that locks the gearcase head in place has been lost or pushed in flat.... alowing the gearcase head to set back farther towards the prop than it should. The pin must enter that alignment hole on that gearcase head! If that isn't properly assembled, the propshaft can move excessively towards the prop which also moves the shifter clutch dog away from the forward gear.

Joe
"

ok i dont think that that pin

ok i dont think that that pin is the problem you are talking about the pin that comes off of the front seal that goes in to the top of the lower unit i am sure that that pin is in thier but i will double check!!

Back