Logo

Mercruiser 470

P

Paul Lastrucci

"Greetings, I need a bit of he

"Greetings, I need a bit of help here. I am doing some research on a Mercruiser 470(we have one that has suffered an overheat due to a water pipe that was left off. However third hand info, I think it could be a tired raw water impeller on the drive or lack of maintenance. To me it looks like a Chevy and have been told it's half a small block, but I see the guys are saying it's half a 460 Ford. Did Mercruiser do two of them? Where can I find more difinitive specs on this engine as we need to do a tear-down, measure and repair?
Regards Paul Lastrucci Pretoria South Africa"

"It's half a Ford 460 V-8,

"It's half a Ford 460 V-8, believe it or not. The other Mercruiser 4 banger is a old Chevy 6 with two cylinders loped off. Buy a Seloc manual from this site nad you'll be in good shape.

Jeff"

470 it was one of the more pop

470 it was one of the more popular motors for the comment " get rid of it"

"A 470 is a Mercruiser aluminu

"A 470 is a Mercruiser aluminum cast block that isn't a GM, Chevy or Ford block. It is a casting made by Mercruiser only. The head is from a Ford 460. It is the same block as the Mercruiser 165 (4 cyl), 170, 190, 470 and 488. All are 224 CID. The 165 6 cylinder is entirely different. I have had nothing but trouble with mine - I agree with the "get rid of it" comment."

Back