Logo

Clicks but doesnt start replaced solonoid starter amp batt

M

Matthew Quintal

"replaced the starter, solonoi

"replaced the starter, solonoid and battery- all new. when I turn the key to start, the voltage goes to Zero and just clicks. Anyone got any ideas. Prior to putting the new solenoid it would click once and not turn over. Then I replaced the solonoid. That is when it would turn the starter a bit put the voltage to zero and make a clicking. Replaced the battery and the same. Prior to the new solonoid the voltage would on the gauge would stay in the middle now it shoots to the left (zero). Cant figure it out. Cleaned the battery terminals as well as all the hookups on the starter and Solonoid.
Please help.... 2001 90hp Mercury o/b"

"Matt, can you turn the engine

"Matt, can you turn the engine by hand or is it locked up. If you can try this.

Disconect the starter wire and check voltage at the solinoid on both sides, should be 12v, if not you have a bad connection some where."

"I tried last week on the emrg

"I tried last week on the emrgncy pull rope but it seems locked up, no luck. I sanded and cleaned the connections @ the battery, the solo and the starter, where else might a connection problem be? Mercury told me over the phone that it sounds like a wiring problem on the positive, but I don't know where else to look."

"[i]"I tried last week on

""I tried last week on the emrgncy pull rope but it seems locked up"

Matt,

If it seemed locked up, sanding the connections is a waste of time. Remove the spark plugs and spin the flywheel by hand. If it does not turn, you're looking in the wrong place. Find out why it is seized. Don't overlook a problem in the gearcase.

Good luck
Rick"

"That was in responce to the p

"That was in responce to the previous post asking whether i could turn it By hand. I could turn it by hand but did not start, never tried to start this motor this way. It was not like pulling on a lawnboy, meaning it was tough to pull. sorry for the error

I was out fishing before thanksgiving and it was running fine, except for one little incident..I went to sart it, after drifting for bass, and it just clicked ... tried it again and it started right up, this is what led me to believe the starter went, if not the solonoid. Do these symptoms sound like it siezed??"

"Matt, try Ricks idea, pull th

"Matt, try Ricks idea, pull the plugs and spin it with the rope or the starter. it should spin easy. If you hear a click when you hit the key that is the solinoid working, now look and see if the stater gear engaged the flywheel. You could also use jumper cables from a good battery directly to the starter to see if that would spin it."

I had the same problem once an

I had the same problem once and it cost me $125 to find out I had a bad crimp on one of my battery cables.

"That'll do it! Start loo

"That'll do it! Start looking at battery connections, wiggling each one as somebody hits the key.

Jeff"

"My guess is a bad connection

"My guess is a bad connection between the starter and the battery. There are more connections than the battery poles to be sanded.
By jumping with jumper cables directly from the + on the battery to the starter motor terminal, you just bypass anything else that can be faulty. Regular car jumper cables work just fine. You might as well use jumper cable for the negative ground also, to be absolutely sure.

If motor is ok with jumpers, then look for voltage drop on both sides of the starter, while trying to start (you need a volt meter for that of course). With that voltmeter you can trace the position of the fault. Use the negative lead of the meter directly on the battery and move the positive around the circuit while testing. It is essential that you draw a lot of current while testing to find the voltage drop. On the negative side of the starter, you should read close to zero when cranking. If the voltage goes up, you have a bad connection on the negative side of the starter. A wiring diagram is not absolutely necessary, but helps.
Robert"

"If you have a cut off switch

"If you have a cut off switch for your power it could be that, I know with my boat if the switch is not in a certian spot the engine will just click when you try to start it.."

Back