Logo

MG30 Yanmar Oil leak

rayc

MG30 Yanmar - Oil leak from la

MG30 Yanmar - Oil leak from large gasket timeing cover. Gasket actually escaping. Can I push in and apply some kind of sealant to stop leak?

Thanks.

"I think you have a 3GM30 F st

"I think you have a 3GM30 F stands for factory fresh water cooling. Looking at the t/c the leak is about 5 o'clock in the oil filter area.
ORDER IN THE 121575-01512 gskt. They may want to sell you the -01511 gasket, but the -01512 hangs in better. It is used on the industrial version and has a graphite composition. Do not forget to change the 2 o-rings that go onto oil ports between cover & block & gasket. p/n 24311-000100"

"Greetings,
Have a 6LP with 1

"Greetings,
Have a 6LP with 170 hours. On a test run the mechanic pushed the throttle clear forward and the engine bogged down and so much smoke came out the Coast Guard thought the boat had a fire onboard ( no kidding ). It works fine with a slow increase in speed and at high rpm.
Is this a sign of potential serious problems? It should be noted that the service center overfilled the oil, I put about 9 hours on it and they pumped out the oil to operating level. THKS, Ed"

"On the Yanmar of interest to

"On the Yanmar of interest to the Coast Guard, I should have mentioned the oil over fill was 9 hours before being pumped down to normal level. The problem occurred with high oil and normal level."

"Hi Ed, keep an eye on it. Ove

"Hi Ed, keep an eye on it. Overfilling these engine with lube oil is not a good thing.
Call your local Authorized Yanmar Dealer or Yanmar direct and get their feelings on this, How much was it overfilled?"

"Hi Ron,

About 3 quarts. Ex

"Hi Ron,

About 3 quarts. Experienced Yanmar mechanic to advise tomorrow, Will post the reply."

"Ron,

Factory rep from Geor

"Ron,

Factory rep from Georgia, said no problems, just run it normally and at high rpm if idling for a long time. Also, oil will spill from the vent if boat is at an angle during a initial full throttle push before plane angle.
Still waiting for more input.

Ed"

Your engine is a turbo changed

Your engine is a turbo changed unit. Avoid low RPM and Idles. Run at the cruising range and change lube oil on schedule. Also have the valve lash adjusted once a season. I am glad you went to the horses mouth for their professional advise. Overfilling with lube oil creats foaming and can also bend con rods.

"Yanmar 3gm30f (2000 -360h

"Yanmar 3gm30f (2000 -360hrs) Engine question/problem?
After running the engine under a load for awhile (anywhere from 45 -120 minutes averaging 2500rpms as well as idling out of gear at 1300 for about 30-60 min to charge batteries) and then sailing for up to 4 hrs, when I try to go back to the engine power, both the temp and the oil light come on, the alarm beeps and the engine does not start. After approx 5 min of trying to start it it finally turns over and the lights and alarms go off immediately and I have no problems once running
When I start it at the beginning of the day, only the oil light comes on, the alarm beeps and it starts right up. To start this engine I open seacock, check all fluids, turn battery dial to both, put key in, go to 1/2 throttle(out of gear) turn key to on and push the button"

Back