Logo

Century Sabre fireball 225

"Working on cleaning up the re

"Working on cleaning up the rest of the engine and internals. Minor sludge buildup. Plenty of rust and scale in the cooling passages.

53756.jpg
Sump pickup"">
53757.jpg
intermediate sludge"">
53758.jpg
Cylinder cleanup"">
53759.jpg
Block cleanup

"Finally have all the greasy w

"Finally have all the greasy work finished. Put the oil pan back on the block, have the valve covers all cleaned and laqured, cleaned up and descaled the cooling check valves, drained and flushed the velvet drive several times. The block is repainted and ready for assembly which will not happen until the hull is re-flipped. I do not have the overhead room to install a complete engine. New gaskets are ordered and new mill studs are being installed in the exhaust manifolds.
53953.jpg
Painted block"">
53954.jpg
Rockers and covers"">
53955.jpg
Draining transmission

"Hey Jeff, good to hear you&#3

"Hey Jeff, good to hear you're is still interested. Maybe someday someone will use these as refs. The head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets and cooling hoses should be showing up sometime in the next few weeks from St Charles Il. I'm using RTV where possible. Today I had to get the exhaust manifolds cherry red to remove the rusted mill studs, broke two off
angry.gif
but there was still enough stub to catch with a vise grips.
Cal
PS..pay no attention to the 1980 18' Formula in the background, that was my project a few years ago."

"Finished cleaning up the exha

"Finished cleaning up the exhaust manifolds and painted them. Flushed out the cooling passages. The final coat is on the Velvet drive transmission, the exhaust elbows were power brushed and coated with hi-temp paint. New studs installed in the manifolds. The cooling thermostats were both tested out good at 140 to 150 degrees before opening. Gaskets are on the way. Getting ready for assembly this spring.
54112.jpg
"

"Just about finished with the

"Just about finished with the engine part of the rebuild.
New head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets and
cooling hoses arrived UPS last week from St Charles, Il.
Everything is on the engine sans carbs, starter and wires.
61307.jpg
Rocker arms"">
61308.jpg
Front view"">
61309.jpg
Starboard side

"Finished<font color=""ff0000"

"Finished<font color=""ff0000"">
Finally put in the last gaskets and hoses, new points, rotor, cond, cap, wires. All pre timed (at least close).
Thanks to all for the help. Andrew for steering me in the direction of manuals, Jeff for encouragement, Pat for addresses for parts.
Without this site and msg board this project would still be beginning.
Cal</font>"

"Jeff I know you wanted to see

"Jeff I know you wanted to see this baby in the boat so today was the day. Finally after so many months I dropped the heart back in the beast. Now the easy part starts
crazy.gif

I'll keep posting during the wireing process cuz I might have some troubles.
Cal
87827.jpg
Heart of the beast

"I just purchased a 1962 Centu

"I just purchased a 1962 Century Sabre with a Gray Marine 225. I wonder if you have yours in the water and what it looks like now. By the way, where is the top?"

"Fred, congrats on a good purc

"Fred, congrats on a good purchase!
Yes the Sabre is in the water as a daily driver and it's a blast. A real head turner she is.
The fireball runs like a bullet on steroids. A little finiky on cold starts but once she runs for the first time in the day the rest is good.
There never was a hard top on this one. It had a soft top from the factory. It was not meant to be a perfect restoration or preservation but just a rebuild that is one fun boat. The avitar with this mesage is a picture of the boat taken this spring on her initial dunking.
Thanks for the inquiry. If you have any questions about the engine etc shout it out.
Cal"

"Cal,

Nice looking Century!

"Cal,

Nice looking Century! Being a century owner myself I understand the labor of love and am anxiously getting ready to start the restoration of our 1957 Coronado.

If you or anyone else decides they want to replace the engine decals and have original photos to go from feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do for you! I have images of other decals i have recreated if you would like to see them.
Take care,

Steve"

"Steve, thanks for the offer.

"Steve, thanks for the offer. So far this summer
that engine purrs like a kitten. I've followed
all the Graymarine instructions about re-torquing the heads and resetting the valves
three times already with good results, now it's
just a turn key and go engine. I can still
smell the paing burning off the exhaust
manifolds when she winds out at 4g+ rpm
proud.gif

I do not think I'll be needing the decals because it' not a show boat, just a fun daily runner that is a blast.
Thanks again for the offer though.
Cal"

Back