Logo

V4 crossflow stator

• Thread starter 12345678charlie
  • Start date

12345678charlie

"before I spend a chunk of mon

"before I spend a chunk of money to replace stator on my 1973 115 'rude is there somthing I should look for that caused the failure ?
bought boat used with no history, stator is not orignal to motor. boat has tac, that does not work.

motor has new coils, I dont mind spending 300 to 400 $ to replace stator, rectifier, and power pack BUT, dont want to just "burn up new parts"

also who makes best parts?

thanks for your time, Im new to boats, always turn my own wrenches. Charlie Burke"

"A faulty rectifier would caus

"A faulty rectifier would cause the tachometer not to operate. It can be tested as follows:

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

What makes you think the stator and powerpack are faulty?"

"stator (big coils) ar

"stator (big coils) are melted, inner flywheel is coated with plastic goo. power pack works but motor shut off in bay (scared wife) for 75 dollars I'll replace it and keep old one for spare, so wife will get back in the boat! when it cooled off it started, and we headed for the trailer!"

"The faulty rectifier caused t

"The faulty rectifier caused the voltage to back up at the stator, resulting in the stator melt down. Rectifier probably failed due to having reverse polarity applied to it at one time.

The stator supplies approximately 300v AC to the powerpack which the pack requires in order to be energized. The cold stator would possibly (and obviously did) supply thr needed AC voltage to the pack when cold but when hot suffered a voltage drop, hence no ignition."

the "goo" came off the

the "goo" came off the flywheel with a razor knife and some solvent.
Stator is $250 dollars; Thats a lot for a little copper wire. anybody ever rewind a stator ?Thanks charlie

"Try a marine salvage yard. P

"Try a marine salvage yard. Parts cost way less, and you usually get some warranty with them. Ebay will indirectly link you to some."

Back