Logo

Carb Leak

islander1949

"My carb is leaking around the

"My carb is leaking around the mating surfaces, I rebuilt it and while reassembling it I noticed the two pieces didn't seat tightly back together. There is a screw inside looking from the top down with a doughnut seal on top. Can I just turn that screw down until the two mating surfaces seat together tightly?? It's out of a 72 2hp evinrude. thanks to any suggestions."

"The only two threaded items i

"The only two threaded items inside that carburetor are the float needle valve body and the high speed nozzle.

The high speed nozzle has a round cork gasket seal so I assume that is what you speak of. That brass nozzle should just be screwed in to a point where is seats and is tight.... but not forced.

The upper body and lower float chamber do not fit close together simply by sitting the float chamber upon the upper body. The retaining screws pull the float chamber to the body, compressing the seal and gasket to form the seal.

You did use a new seal and gasket?

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked."

Back