Logo

Cat Glendenning compatibility

linesix

Advanced Contributor
"OK, so I just returned from F

"OK, so I just returned from Fla. where I was hired to remove the Glendenning controls in a new Cat electronic twin engine powered boat and replace them with Cat's electronic control system.

The reason for the change? Engines randomly loose rpms then just before stalling, recover. Boat may run for 40 hrs. without incident, sometimes it's only 20 min. Cat claims the controls are the problem, Glendenning has replaced the system, twice, as well as run the boat with oscilliscopes connected and determined the engine ECM signal was causing the condition.

Although denying any problem with the engines, Cat has replaced the ECMs. No change occured. It actually sounds like a fuel starvation problem, but I have to assume this was all checked prior to the boat manufacturer spending serious bucks to have this change made.

The new system incorporates new engine harnesses, key switch panels, instrument harnesses and control harnesses as well as control head, trolling valve modules and a back-up station.

The system seems to be fine but only time will tell if the problem is cured since it did not get a serious seatrial. Has anyone had a compatibility problem with Cat electronic engines and Glendenning electronic controls? And if so, how was it corrected?

During the disassembly I found no loose connections, cut harnesses, etc. which could contribute to the problem.

Any relevent input is welcome.

Rick

13920.jpg
Cat System

"Rick-

CAT's ECM's

"Rick-

CAT's ECM's usually use feedback from 2 speed timing sensors. If it is a HEUI, they are usually mounted off the HEUI pump drive flywheel. If the sensors are bad or improperly installed, the engines usually won't even start.

CAT uses a "pulse width moduated" throttle signal. Basically a speed change induces a voltge change. Usually around 5 volts or so. You should be able to measure this. If you hook up a CAT computer to the ECM, you can even monitor this as the engine runs.

ZF has a sexy new electronic control system that works well.

Let us know how you make out."

"Ed,

Thanks much for the re

"Ed,

Thanks much for the reply. The Cat dealer is scheduled in on 12/8 to configure the system and set-up the program for the trolling valves. I won't know until then if the operation was a success.

Unfortunately, the boat is in sunny Fl. and I'm back in snowy NJ.

I only wish I could have used that sexy new ZF system. This is the first problem we've had with the Glendenning system, and at the moment, no one knows for sure if the problem was actually in the controls. The reason for using the Cat system is that it will end all finger pointing. Weather the problem is in the controls, or the engine, now it's Cat's problem. The yacht manufacturer's first concern is satisfying the customer. Then they'll try to find out where the problem is and how to rectify it.

They don't want to use the Cat system in production since it's so complicated to install, using approx. 24 harnesses and adapters. In Cat's defense, this system was designed for much larger vessels and is overkill in a 50' boat. It accomidates 8 stations , each which can be up to 208' from the processor.

I'll post the final result when available.

Thanks again,
Rick"

"Rick,

As Ed stated the Cat

"Rick,

As Ed stated the Cat needs a throttle input signal that is pulse width modulated. I work on new boats in the West Palm Beach area in Florida and have also seen problems on new boats with the Glen Denning systems on Cummins engines. The controls are made to be cheap for the boat builders to use them. You get what you pay for. I have seen excellent results with the Twin Disc electronic controls. Good luck."

"Wow, I forgot all about this

"Wow, I forgot all about this. The bottom line: Boat runs fine, customer is happy. Evidently there is a compatibility problem after all. Fortunatly for me, this boat manufacturer only built two of these boats with Cat power. Everything else in this size boat is Volvo and they use the Volvo controls and have had no problems. Thanks for the feedback guys."

Back