Logo

2005 Mercury 50hp elpto rough idle

I

IDIOT

"Ok I'm an idiot!!! But no

"Ok I'm an idiot!!! But now I need some help.
The first 5 gallons of gas and the first oil tank full was of tcw-3 rated oil.

Then comes the idiot. The next 15 gallons of gas was pre-mixed (for break in purposes) with "multipurpose 2 stroke oil" for air cooled applications.

The motor idles rough and quits sometimes when idling at 600-800rpms. The motor runs like a charm at higher rpms in the water. The motor idles rough most of time with the ears when I flush it.

What should I do?

I have ran a carb cleaner through it, I have changed the spark plugs, I have fuel system cleaner mixed in the gas tank now.

Any help for the village idiot is most appreciated.

Thanks"

"Might simply need a carb idle

"Might simply need a carb idle adjustment--assuming it has adjustable idle jets.

Then again, that might be an elctronic injection motor. Hell, I don't know. Anything newer than 1980 is "new stuff" to me!

Jeff"

I have this exact problem with

I have this exact problem with my 90 HP 2 stroke. Boat's at the dealer and they have reproduced the problem. One thing I did was to throw away the "R" plugs that came with the motor and replaced with non-"R" plugs. This helped but did not cure. The dealer says...."Yes indeed there is a problem and has contacted Mercury for assistance. They dealer mentioned a bearing noise coming from the motor and believes this is related. I'll let you know the outcome is once we get it all fixed.

My boat has been in the shop s

My boat has been in the shop since the last post. I stopped by today to ask what's up? They told me the power head needs to be replaced. Thank God for the warrenty.

Back