Logo

Warning horn help

johnsodm

"I have a 1994 Johnson 115hp.

"I have a 1994 Johnson 115hp. With the key on, warning horn has rapid high/low oscillating sound. I disconnected the wires for the oil tank, and the sound was the same but not as loud. Disconnecting the temp sensors did nothing, but disconnecting wire harness to fuel pump stopped the sound. So, 2 things are making the same sound at the same time- oil tank and fuel pump. My manual doesn't say anything about a warning for the fuel pump, and my oil injection system is positively working perfectly as I can see and smell lots of oil in exhaust. Any Ideas on what's causing the warning, and how to fix it? Oh yeah, where is the best place to by a rectifier/regulator assembly? How much? Thanks for any help."

"Well, I'll be first to re

"Well, I'll be first to respond to my message...

My 1994 Johnson 115 is an inboard on a BW Rage 15 Jetboat. I found that when wiggling the two wires at the oil tank that one of the "intermittent" beep/sirens goes away. The other is still there. Disconnect the 2 wire lead from oil tank at connector and sound still there. All of this is with engine not running but key on. I unplug the (4 or 5 wire?) connector on top of the engine that goes down to fuel pump assembly and sound shuts off. Is this a VRO assembly? I want to bypass it, but if I leave that 4 or 5 wire harness (which includes a purple wire) disconnected, how will the fuel pump get power? Is there another connector I haven't found that needs to be disconnected for the conversion that Joe has posted so many times? Thanks for any help- it will be much appreciated!"

"Many of us would like to help

"Many of us would like to help, but don't have any experience with the newer OMC products. (anything beyond 1990) On the older engines the fuel pumps are on the block and operated by crank case pressure. They are not electric. I don't know much about yours. A factory manual would be your best bet. Try Ebay."

"David.... I retired before yo

"David.... I retired before your engine came into existence and am not familiar with its circuitry, however, pertaining to the warning (horn) systems that exist from the 1980's up thru 1992 (and I doubt there's any change in the sound system), check the following.

While the horn is sounding off, remove the TAN wire from the horn itself. If the sound continues, the horn is faulty, in which case, replace it.

If the horn stops sounding when you remove that TAN wire from it, check, clean, and tighten all ground wires pertaining to the system, then one by one, disconnect the lead (TAN) wires from the warning components (VRO, Oil Tank, Fuel Vacuum Switch, and the Cylinder Head Heat Sensors. When the horn stops sounding, you've found the component that's affecting the system.

Keep in mind that there's also the possibility that water (something) is within the wiring harness at some point and may be causing a high resistance short."

"Thanks so much for the respon

"Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate it, and will help anyone as much as I can as I'm a new member. This is a great forum!

Dave Johnson"

Back