Logo

I have a 1949 montgomery wardssea king should I rebuild or trash

B

bassmaster1234

"I have completely overhauled

"I have completely overhauled with new fuel lines, filters, screens, rebuilt the carb, new spark plugs, and I am using 24:1 fuel. The motor cranks on the fisrt pull but once I adjust the speed knob the motor speeds up and slows down and so on I am aslo trying to adjust the carb but nothing happens. Regapped the points, also sparyed engine tuner waited overnight restarted engine and basicly ran the same but had moments were it ran fine, but it stills surges. To me it sounds like I have been getting bad gas lately. I am using regular gas only. Also been using Lucas 2-cycle oil tcw3 and stabil in the gas. Ran a compression check on the motor and the top spark plug hole had 80 and the bottom had 75 I don't know much about outboard motor sa are these numbers ok for a 1949 montgomery wards/sea king(94gg9014a). Or do you think that I should tare the engine down and but new rings? Or just trash the motor?"

Sounds like the rings are shot

Sounds like the rings are shot. At least 100 pounds is normal. Have you rebuilt the carb?

Jeff

"Yes I have rebuit the carb. J

"Yes I have rebuit the carb. Just pulled the pistons out and the rings look okay, the block looks okay. But the bottom piston looks like it is pitted on the sides and the top looks a little better then the bottom one. I guess you can call it scuffing on the skirts. They start just below the rings then down the skirt."

"The rings look "okay"

"The rings look "okay"? I assume that means they are broken or stuck in their grooves, but they have lost their tension and need to be replaced. For that lower piston, you can sandpaper it back to life and put her together. Better change the top and bottom seals, though. And the bearings.

Jeff"

The rings are not stuck or bro

The rings are not stuck or broken they are loose in there groves. But I noticed that the top piston is flat on the end and the bottom one looks like something indented it and also looks a little pitted around the top.

Hone her out and put new rings

Hone her out and put new rings in. They've probably been in there since Truman was the president!

Jeff

So your telling me that the li

So your telling me that the little bit of scuffing on the piston want hurt?

"IMHO I think you are headed i

"IMHO I think you are headed in the wrong direction. I don't believe that your compression numbers are out of line for an engine as old as yours. If I were a gambling man, I would bet you have some type of crankcase leak, such as a leaky intake cover gasket, carb gasket, or the like. A two stroke leaking at any seal can cause similar symptoms."

"I have a couple of good runni

"I have a couple of good running outboatds that had heavily scuffed pistons in them. I just sanded the scuff marks away--filing abit as necessary--and put in new rings.

Here's something many people don't realize about 2 stroke engines: Unlike in a 4 stroke, blowby is a killer in a 2 stroke. Why? The burnt exhaust gas not only raises the crankcase temperature, it 'pollutes' the hell out of the incoming charge. You don't have nice clean air and fuel entering the cylinder but polluted, dirty air that doesn't want to burn as well. So, if the rings are shot, that exhuast is blowing back into the crankcase like crazy--and you wonder why it doesn't run right!

Jeff"

Would having a leaking head ga

Would having a leaking head gasket make me have lower compression numbers in one cylinder and not the other?

"Thank you. I am going to repl

"Thank you. I am going to replace the head gasket, carb gasket, and the oil seal under the cam."

"Will I guess my motor is shot

"Will I guess my motor is shot, after putting motor back together my compression went down to around 60. Put the motor back together the same way it came apart. The cylinder block looked clean and the ring looked clean no scoring that I could see. So I found Tom with Tom’s Used Outboards and he has a used powerhead for me for about 25.00. He get the compression on the powerhead and he had around 75 give or take his gauge. Do you think this is a good deal? I just don’t have the funds right now to buy a better used motor right now. But before I had these problems the motor ran good the first couple of times. So I hope this new powerhead is going to be worth it."

"It's absolutely amazing w

"It's absolutely amazing what some people will do to avoid spending a few bucks on a motor! Of course it has crappy compression! What do you expect with half century old, dead rings?

Jeff"

There were nothing wrong with

There were nothing wrong with my rings cause I had them inspected by a boat motor repair man before I put them back into the motor.

The compression reading is bef

The compression reading is before I ran the motor again.

"Robert:

You can not "i

"Robert:

You can not "inspect" old, tension-less rings then put them back in and expect them to work! New and old rings 'look' the same, but new rings have a tension that makes them to seal. You also have to hone the cylinder walls to remove the glaze and scratch it uip enough for the new--note: NEW--rings to wear in against and seal.
This is nothing new: people have had to do this with internal combustion engines for over a century!

Jeff"

"wheredo people get parts for

"wheredo people get parts for mont. wards sea king anyway regardless of age? i have a 71yr. 9.6hp cant find parts or anyone to try to cross match parts thank you randy jindra,ohio"

I have gotten my parts at Ston

I have gotten my parts at Stone and Sons.You need to a google search on Stone and Sons.

"If you careful measure the si

"If you careful measure the size of the rings (and the bore of the cylinder) you can match them up to rings for other engines. Takes a bit of effort, but rings are rings. (I once ran Chevy V-6 rings in my Caddy V-8.)

Jeff"

I just have one question for a

I just have one question for anybody that can answer.How to you set the knob on the carb that has lean to prime and numbers in between? I don’t think that I have it set right. Does the knob make a complete 360 degrees around or does it only go 180 degrees around?

"I MIGHT HAVE A WARDS OUTBOARD

"I MIGHT HAVE A WARDS OUTBOARD OF THAT VINTAGE. I JUST BOUGHT 53 SMALL OUTBOARDS FROM 1946 TO 1957.
3HP TO 20HP JOHNSON, EVINRUDE, WARDS, FIRESTONE,AND CLINTONS."

Back