Logo

Mercruiser 30 alpha one LX alternator belt

T

Tommy Noles

As a brand new boater I picked

As a brand new boater I picked up a 20 foot bayliner inboard/outboard this summer. It ran great but when trying to winterize the alternator drive belt snapped. Is this something I can fix myself or should I bring it somewhere. I cant figure out how to get the belt on without taking up the whole engine mount.

"Can we assume that the eninge

"Can we assume that the eninge is packed in the compartment so tight, there isn't enough clearance to slip a new belt on?
If so, unbolt the alternator, slip the new belt on, reinstall the alternator, then tighten the belt up."

"Okay. I assume that's a

"Okay. I assume that's a 3.0 loter 4 banger? If so, there IS a way to change the belt without pulling the mount. It's not obvious, but part of the mount can be removed to get the belt in/ out.

Jeff

PS: Smart people (like you!) put two belts in there. One gets used, the other gets tie-wrapped out of the way for future use. Knowhatimean?"

"Fastjeff, thanks for the advi

"Fastjeff, thanks for the advise. It is a 3.0L 4 banger. The question is how do I hold the engine up while I take off part of the mount. I will definitely tie-wrap an extra belt out of the way once I can figure out how to get one on. Thanks for your help."

"Now, I haven't done this-

"Now, I haven't done this--I was too dumb to know back then when I owned a 3.0 liter--but people I respect have changed the belt without having to get out a chainfalll or jack. A piece of the mount on oine side is made to be removed, so you can thread the belt in without jacking the motor up. It's hard to see with everything painted black, but it's there.

Jeff

PS: Curse Mercruiser--and Mercury outboards--for painting every damn thing black! Not only is it hard to see a screw up (clever, aren't they!) you have a tough time eyeballing photos in their over-priced manuals. Jerks!"

fastjeff thats the most obviou

fastjeff thats the most obvious advice ive seen in here but have never even considered it. "brilliant" so simple a dummy could do it but you need a brain surgeon to figure it out. "kudos" your a smart man.

Back