Logo

Winterizing 85 HP Johnson Outboard

tricks

"I posted this question last m

"I posted this question last month but it looks like it was lost when the board crashed. Here is the problem I have read I need to fog the carbs, I will have to find my books on the engine to see how to do that. The problem is I am sick and we are having our first freeze tonight about 28, will this hurt the engine if I do not get it done today."

"No Don, fogging the engine p

"No Don, fogging the engine protects the internal metal surfaces from rust due to moisture. It will only occur over a long period of time and is not time critical. If your engine is tilted down vertically all of the cooling water will drain from the system and you have no reason for concern regarding freezing.

So for now don't worry about it.

Hope you feel better soon.
Rick"

"Thanks Rick, I waited to long

"Thanks Rick, I waited to long to ask the question I have a bad habit of putting things off! LOL I went ahead and did what I could even though I felt like hell. I'm not sure if I used the fogger right or not, I read the book on my engine and it said to spray the fogger down the throat of the carbs. I did not have the time or the energy to take the air silencer off. But there are four plastic caps that sit almost right on top of the carbs, I took them out and sprayed the fogger in there. I also sprayed it down the opening at the top of the air silencer. I then took out each plug and sprayed some in there. After all that, I ran two gallons of anti-freeze through the lower unit with the earmuffs. I'm afraid I waited to long to do all of this, but I'm sure we had not hit freezing yet, but I may have been wrong because I noticed lower gear case oil around the back of the prop once I was done. I think it may be the lower gasket. I am not sure, but I shouldn’t be seeing the oil right?"

the motor should be running in

the motor should be running in order to fog the cylinders.Do this till the neighbors house disappears.Anti freeze is not needed at all.Pressure test of the lower unit will check for leaks.It is likely the oil you sprayed in that is running down the exhaust.

"You'll be fine. Most lik

"You'll be fine. Most likely the oil you see is unburned fuel and oil, especially knowing that you just fogged it. When you get a chance you should change the gear lube. Check for signs of water as is begins to drain. A trace is OK, but any more than that should be checked out."

"Ok I hope that's the case

"Ok I hope that's the case, it looked a lot like gear lube to me. But I guess if the fogger ran down into there it could be that. I had read that you really did not need anti freeze, but it is getting down to 28 tonight and that engine takes awhile to drain, so I figured better safe than sorry."

Back