Logo

Evinrude 48 special max rpm problem

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1995 Evinrude 48 spe

"I have a 1995 Evinrude 48 special that has been running fine until recently.

Motor runs well. No stalling or rough idling so I don't think it is a fuel/air problem. When the throttle is taken out of gear the motor revs fully (full rpms) as normal. When in gear the the motor only seems to run at 1/2 throttle (1/2 rpms) when the throttle shifter is fully pushed. The reving (rpms) do not stop at half but only reach half at full throttle. I do not have an rpm gauge.

The prop is dinged but not really that bad.
Did not get to check the oil in the foot of the outboard
Water temp was 57 degrees so I don't think the oil is too thick (cold)

The water it was peeing wasn't even warm. Is that normal?
Thanks,
TJ"

"TJ,
Engine repair 101. Chec

"TJ,
Engine repair 101. Check spark, check compression. It sounds like you dropped a cylinder. Those two cylinders run so rough it's often hard to pick up on a miss at idle. The reason it revs in neutral is that you are under a no-load condition. One cylinder will allow the engine to rev, but under a load, it's not developing the HP needed to develope the RPMs.

Obviously, look for poor electrical connections, fouled plugs, pinched fuel lines, dislodged linkage, etc. Too often people overlook the obvious in search for the minescule.

The overboard discharge water may not be warm as it does not travel through the block. This water comes from a port that bypasses the remainder of the cooling system.

Let us know how you make out.

Rick"

"I finally got a compression t

"I finally got a compression test kit so I will be checking that soon.

Regarding spark plugs. I will be getting the recommended spark plugs. In my clymer manuals it has two recommendations, one of which is for long idiling situations. What is the difference in these plugs? Also, I think the gap is supposed to be 0.030. On this or another message board, I thought I read an old message that he was going to gap his plugs at 0.040 to prevent spark plug fouling. Why does increasing the gap prevent fouling?

thanks"

I would like to follow up on t

I would like to follow up on this. I did not get to check compression because I left my compression tester at home yesterday. Boat is not in the water yet so I can't check it under load.

Spark looked good on both cylinders was able to jump 1/2 in spark tester. Motor was able to start and run (breifly) on either cylinder alone. I replaced the spark plugs gapped at 0.030. The old spark plugs had gaps over 0.040 and looked to be a little eaten up. Could that be the problem? The boat started quickly and ran better with the new plugs?

Fuel looked good.

Back