Logo

Antisyphon valve

rickt

"Do any of you have any experi

"Do any of you have any experiance with replacing your fuel anti-syphon valve? below is something I read on another message board last week while this one was down. Based on the symptoms below I may need to replace mine. I have never heard anyone from this board talk about it so I was just wondering???
Thanks Rick Scroll down please

The symptoms of a bad anti-syphon valve are, hard starting, surging RPM's while under way, hesitation or backfiring upon acceleration and lack of wide open throttle (WOT) RPM's."

"Rickt, the symptoms that move

"Rickt, the symptoms that moved me to change the anti syphon valve was mainly one.

The engine had problems in keeping high revs. The AS valve opens when the fuel pump produces a vacum and closes when the carburetor vase is full or you shut down the engine. Because the seat of the ball was gummy and worn out, the ball stuck partially to the seat choking the fuel passage so the pump could not get the volume of gas the engine required.

Its relatively inexpenssive, about $13 US at West Marine."

"Rick, I was able to clean the

"Rick, I was able to clean the junk out of my A-S valve. It was located on the fuel pickup tube, which screws into the fuel tank. It was actually located on top of the pickup tube, where it meets the 90 degree elbow. Like Frederico says, the motor would stall from lack of fuel at high RPM."

"Rickt, as Chris correctly say

"Rickt, as Chris correctly says you can clean the AS valve with any carburator cleaner that disolves the gummy residue. I decided to change the b..... thing becasue:
a) The valve has been there for 10 years suffering vibrations that being as it is made of aluminum could have very probably deformed the seat. This alone can be a cause for stucking on a ball & spring valve, even if clean.

b) It costed me only U$ 12.90

Cleaning the valve brought me back to the marina. Replacing it by a new one gave me peace of mind."

Fastjeff do you have any input

Fastjeff do you have any input on this subject? I always have high value on your opinion.

Has anyone experianced hesitation or difficulty in starting as I read at another site?

On another note is there a good way to make sure my 4 barrel is working properly. When I fogged my engine during winterization I shot fogging spray in the rear barrels of the carb and it had no effect on the engine no bogging or choking. yes I manually lifted the flapper and spayed it in... any thoughts

Thanks

Rick

"As the man said: "Test!

"As the man said: "Test! Test! Test! Test!"

Rig up a 0-10 psi (for a carb) fuel pressure gage in the line to your carb and watch it like a hawk. (Jeggs and Summit sell kits to do this.) An electric pressure sender goes in the line, and the gage gets mounted in the dash. Then, when the mototr bogs on you, you can tell immediately if its gas starvation. If te pressure stays up then it's water in gas, an electrical problem, etc. And if the pressure does drop, you can eyeball the gage as you try fixing the problem. Pretty slick, eh!

Something for your Xmas list, and the pre-spring launch 'To-Do List' as well!

Jeff"

Back