Logo

5hp Sea King Montgomery Ward

"After installing a new impell

"After installing a new impeller on my 5hp m/w sea king (1956? model GG9002B) I cannot remember which way the little piece down on the lower unit should face. It is about 3/4 inch wide and 3 1/2 long, it has 4 extruded vents in it. I assumed they would have the vent openings facing the prop but a friend told me he thought they went the other way. Anyone familiar with what I am talking about?"

"I need help figuring out what

"I need help figuring out what model 5 hp Sea King outboard I have. I traded a mini bike for it.
It starts and runs well but stalls after running 2 minutes at slow speed. I have looked under the bonnet and all I found was starting instructions, spark plug, and case lube recommendations. Some of the parts have numbers that begin with 55. I found a photo of one that looks like mine and attached the image. I am replacing the fuel lines and filter. I also plan to change the plugs (two cylinder). The engine fuel line connector takes the Johnson/Evinrude type. My neighbor suggested checking for a worn flywheel keyway. He said he had this problem with a Sea King motor he once had. I'd like to get a manual.
220263.jpg
Montgomery Wards Sea King

"Hi guys, new to the forum and

"Hi guys, new to the forum and see that there is a ton of info here. Great site. I just bought a 5 hp Montgomery Ward Sea King MODEL 94GG9014A. It has the SERIAL No. 245605. I Believe it is either a 1949 or a 1950. Does anyone have info on this engine, such as where to find parts and specs? Also, I see that a lot of the parts are interchangeable with other manufacturers. Is that the case with model # 94GG9014A? I'd appreciate any advice or info."

"Dakota, that is a 1949 model

"Dakota, that is a 1949 model built by Gale which was a division of OMC (Johnson/Evinrude).

The Gale brand was sold mostly at hardware stores etc rather than OMC's own dealers - and was also branded under stores own brand names such as Sea King in the case of Wards.

The Gale's did share a number of parts with J/E's of the same period.

A good source for parts for these is www.laingsoutboards.com - they carry most items you would need to maintain one of these motors."

"No, Laings carries "Gale&

"No, Laings carries "Gale" parts - just have a look down the left side of the page and follow the Gale link....

Your Wards model is a carbon copy of Gale's own "Buccaneer" models - so if you are in the market for a manual, you could try www.discount-marine-parts.com - tell them what you have and there is a good chance they will either have a manual in stock or can get one is short order...

I've used Laings and they do know their stuff and can give good advice too if you ask. I have a late 50's, 40 horse Gale (that no longer see's alot of use, but it's still a great motor) and they have been supplying the parts to keep it running for quite a while now..."

"Ok Graham got it running, but

"Ok Graham got it running, but I do not know a thing about the controls. I read the plate to get it started, but I keep having to adjust the prime/lean knob when I adjust the speed control lever to get it to run at its smoothest. Is this normal? Also, when it comes to the manual trim, I see that I have an moveable pin on the mounting plate and a piece with grooves in it that fits against the pin located on the shaft. There is a spring loaded piece on the shaft. Is this supposed to lock when the shaft is lowered to keep the engine in a fixed position? I appreciate all of your time!"

"No, you should warm it up at

"No, you should warm it up at idle and then do your adjusting, slowly, allowing it time (15-20 seconds) to adjust to the change you made and then leave it alone.

If it stumbles after it's set that could indicate some crud in the carb or a bad gasket etc which usually requires pulling the carb, cleaning it out and throwing in some new gaskets.

But it could be an old spark plug as well, so change unless new.

The "tilt pin" or "thrust pin" (you can choose your term) can be set to trim the motor properly for the boat you have it on.

It's usually a case of playing around a bit - set it, see how it works, move it up or down one pin spot, try again - to see if one spot works a little better at getting the boat up on plane etc - but with a small horse motor it normally doesn't make a whole lot of difference..."

"Is this engine air cooled or

"Is this engine air cooled or water cooled? What oil should I go with? A TCW-3 or a TC (weedeaters, chainsaws, etc.)"

"It's a Gale, so it's

"It's a Gale, so it's a water cooled outboard. Treat as you would a more recent model.

If I didn't mention it before, you may want to invest 10 bucks at your local Napa parts store and pick up some new gas line (for under the hood). The old rubber lines which would have been used on this model do not stand up well to todays gas that is blended with ethanol.

So just take a piece of hose with you and get a couple of feet and swap it out."

"I have a 1951 Montgomery Ward

"I have a 1951 Montgomery Ward Sea King model #15GG-9015. I am looking for carburetor parts for it. Would like to know if anyone knows any other brand I can use for parts that would work. If so, please let me know. Thank you."

Graham
My lower unit gear oil

Graham
My lower unit gear oil drain/fill bolt hole is stripping and I am having gear oil leak. Any thoughts on a solution?

"You have 2 basic choices - yo

"You have 2 basic choices - you can go to a local autoparts place and get a "helicoil", it will replace the threads.

Second choice, have the hole "tapped" and use a slightly larger plug."

"I took the boat out (befo

"I took the boat out (before I was aware of the gear oil leak) and it would fire right up and idle pretty decent, but would sputter and when I tried to open it up. I took the spark plugs off and they both look extremely black and one did not have a gap at all. What should I set the gap at and what spark plugs should I get."

I am looking for a water pump

I am looking for a water pump and installtion instructions for an Eska Com. Golden Jet 600 1963 Model No. 1124 Serial No. 2590. If you know where I can get one or have one willing to let go please let me know. Thank you.

"I have a 1960 Sea King that I

"I have a 1960 Sea King that I just got home today, started it in the barrel and it started right up and ran, but all I know about outboards is that they are air cooled, or they have to have water cycling through them. Thats about the extent of my outboard knowledge, and that may not even be right. My question is, is this motor air cooled, and if its not, shouldnt it be spitting out water from somewhere when it is running in the barrel, because its not.

Thanks ahead of time"

"Josh, a 1960 5 horse SeaKing

"Josh, a 1960 5 horse SeaKing will have been built by Gale (formerly a division of OMC).

That would be a water cooled model, but it does not have a tell-tale (pee stream).

There will be a relief hole or two on the leg of the motor an inch or so below the bottom of the powerhead that will kinda (spit) out water - it gets blown out of the little hole(s) by exhaust pressure, or may be observed to kinda weep or leak out.

In any event, since the motor is new to you, a new impeller, gear oil, and pair of spark plugs (this should be a twin cylinder model) are in order...

Parts for a 1960 Gale can be obtained from www.laingsoutboards.com if you need a source..."

"Graham:

What size helicoil

"Graham:

What size helicoil would I need?

I took the boat out (before I was aware of the gear oil leak) and it would fire right up and idle pretty decent, but would sputter and when I tried to open it up. I took the spark plugs off and they both look extremely black and one did not have a gap at all. What should I set the gap at and what spark plugs should I get?"

Don't know off the top of

Don't know off the top of my head and don't have a size listed in any of my early OMC manuals.

"Graham

I was able to cross

"Graham

I was able to cross reference the plugs that I pulled out and I picked some up off of ebay.
Any idea where the vent is located that I would unscrew to fill the lower unit oil? The only screw I see is on the opposite side, but it is at the same level as the fill/drain plug. I figured it would be higer up on the lower unit. Thanks for all of your help."

What is the float adjusment fo

What is the float adjusment for a 1949 Sea King? Should the primer lever be in contact with the float pin?

The float should be level with

The float should be level with the carb body when held inverted. The primer pin should have a spring under it to keep it off the float till you want to force the float open to flood the motor.

Back