Logo

5hp Sea King Montgomery Ward

"I'm sorry, I'd like t

"I'm sorry, I'd like to add
my model #:45GG9014A
my Serial #:557083
Thank you."

"Carrie, that is a 1954 Gale,

"Carrie, that is a 1954 Gale, built by OMC - so it did share alot of parts with Johnson/Evinrude during the same period.

A running version of that motor can be obtained in the used market for under 100 bucks, so keep that in mind before you spend alot on it.

The boys at www.discount-marine-parts.com may be able to help you out with a manual...."

"Sorry John, almost missed you

"Sorry John, almost missed you there. Well, you just happen to be in luck.

The Sportfisher models were only built in 1970 and 71.

The motor itself was built by Eska for Montgomery Wards (not good since both are out of business) - But...

Tecumseh built all the powerheads for Eska, so just about any small engine place can help you out with engine parts - the motor itself was also used on thousands of 5 horse lawnmowers out there...

The carb kit you want is part number DI-52030. For other engine parts, the Tecumseh motor which corresponds to your power head is either TEC-643-05A (or B) - both will work..."

"Graham, Thank you for the inf

"Graham, Thank you for the information on my 5hp. John"

I recently acquired and Montgo

I recently acquired and Montgomery ward Sea King 5hp outboard and was wondering what year it is.
Here is the Model number and serial number:
Model#: GG18736D
Serial#: 26x834010
Any information is greatly appreciated!

"It's a 1962 5 Horsepower.

"It's a 1962 5 Horsepower.
I believe OMC's Gale division was still making Sea King's at this time, and most parts were interchangeable with Johnson's and Evinrudes.
I also believe the fuel/oil ratio was still 24:1."

"You are correct Wayne - the G

"You are correct Wayne - the GG indicates it was built by Gale, and the 24:1 is correct as well
"

"Brand new user here, I need s

"Brand new user here, I need some help identifing the year, maker and oil to gas mix for an old sea king motor. Model number GG8977A serial number 85x717828"

"Larry, that is a 1958, twin c

"Larry, that is a 1958, twin cylinder, 5 horse Gale (OMC) which was built for Montgomery Wards and sold under the brand name Sea King.

Gale shared alot of parts with the other OMC's of the same vintage (Johnson/Evinrude) but was definately it's own brand.

This model would have also been marketed by Gale as a model 5S14 under it's "Buccaneer" model line."

"Sorry Larry - you can mix thi

"Sorry Larry - you can mix this at 24:1 - regular unleaded and TCW-3 Marine 2 stroke oil will work great.

You may want to replace the gas lines "under the hood". If still original, the rubber was not designed to handle the ethanol blended gasoline on the market now.

It does quite a number on the hoses and can cause no end of problems.

Any automotive aftermarket place can hook you up with a foot or so of gas hose (automotive is fine - don't need to chuck the bucks at a marine dealer, it's all the same)...."

"Brand New User Here, I see th

"Brand New User Here, I see there is a motor close to the one that my Father in law gave to my son. It is a Sea King 5hp twin. It hasn't been run in years, but I used a 24:1 ratio. It runs pretty darn good. It looks like that is what I need to use, please comfirm. Model Number 8960A, Serial Number 75X689879. I am guessing that it is a 1957. Your help is greatly appreciated."

"Keith, you are correct. You h

"Keith, you are correct. You have a 1957, 5 horse, twin cylinder, water cooled model built by Gale (OMC).

The Wards model number was GG8960A which was the equivalent of the Gale Model 5D14 (Buccaneer).

24:1 is the correct ratio. You may want to spend a few bucks at Napa (or the like) and get some new gas hose for under the hood. If original it doesn't stand up well to todays gas, especially if it contains ethanol/methanol or alcohol (kinda turns the rubber to goop and plugs everything up)."

"Graham, Thank you for your in

"Graham, Thank you for your input. After reading that other thread about the gas hose, I had already planned on replacing."

new user here. i just bought a

new user here. i just bought a 5 hp sea king at
auction. model number is vwb19072. serial number
is 46x12384. can anyone tell me year of mfg and
oil to gas mix. it was sold by montgomery ward.
many thanks for any help.

"Randy, that's a 1964 Chry

"Randy, that's a 1964 Chrysler built twin cylinder.

At that vintage it will mix at 24:1"

wanted to know the right fuel

wanted to know the right fuel mixture for a 7 horse power montgomery ward sea king outboard motor. Model #K7002107A. serial #654926
type no 6027370R
Thankyou if you have the answer...

"Just got a 1957 Sea King &#40

"Just got a 1957 Sea King (wards) 5hp. for free off Craig's list. Quite pristine and with a thorough cleaning it fired right up. It needs a water pump though and I don't remember the secret on those oldies to get at it. Can't find a manual for it. Help!! Thanks, Bob"

"I have a 1955 Viking, which i

"I have a 1955 Viking, which is identical to a similar SeaKing. One was sold by Montgomery Ward, the other (Viking) was sold by Eaton's Canada.

I had to remove the powerhead to get at the nut (or 2) to disconnect the shifter. You then remove the gearcase housing and shifter rod together.

I believe your motor uses a fairly common impeller. My guess it is part 18-3001 at www.vintageoutboard.com, it is also available at NAPA auto parts. I believe they just call it 183001. I'm not 100% sure that this is the correct one, but believe that is the one I used.

I have a picture and description if it helps. You can email me if you like (click on my name and it will give you my email address).

Good luck."

"Looking for information for M

"Looking for information for MW Sea King in order to get parts (water pump, gaskets & seals for lower unit). Model # VWB 52056, Ser# 47X20646, 55 B.H.P. Can anyone help with year and motor info??"

"Just acquired a 5hp sea king

"Just acquired a 5hp sea king guessing 61 or 62 to use as a kicker motor; model# is GG18736 but does not end with a letter A, B, C, or D. First, what do the letters signify? Second, what should gas ratio be? Third, would it kill it to use it in salt water? Is there a good vendor site out there for similar J or E parts with pic diagrams. Any info appreciated."

"Follow up question re: 5 hp s

"Follow up question re: 5 hp sea king - there was mention in the thread that J and E of same year might have similar parts, but what J ane E were 5.5 hp not 5 hp. Anyone know if in fact they're interchangable?"

I have a 5 hp sea king model #

I have a 5 hp sea king model #GG9002A serial #55X601092. Don't have any more info on it. Looking for parts for the lower unit. Any leads appreciated.

"I can tell you that it’s a 19

"I can tell you that it’s a 1956, made the Gale division of OMC.
Some Johnson/Evinrude parts will fit, but I’m not sure about the bottom end.
What exactly are you looking for? You can still get impellers, and maybe seals for the bottom end.
Check out www.vintageoutboard.com"

"This motor sat in a guys barn

"This motor sat in a guys barn for I don't know how long, but the wishbone shaped link that hooks to the shifter rod and to the clutch or dog is rusted in half.I have enough of a pattern that I'm going to try and make one, but I would rather have something of better quality. Thanks for the info so far."

I have a gale gg9001c model 5

I have a gale gg9001c model 5 HP engine. Did not come with a water tube to deliver the water from the pump to the motor. Where can I get one.

Back